Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Our Flagship Rum comes from Jamaica. Canada Calling.

User Info Menu

Cool Our Flagship Rum comes from Jamaica. Canada Calling.

Did you know Newfoundland, Canada, has a long historical economic affiliation with Jamaica? Our provincial dark rum is shipped to our Liquor Commission from Jamaica, in concentrate, and is bottled and sold under the name SCREECH. Many visitors to the province are SCREECHED IN. This involves a little ceremony at a party at someone's home or shed or a bar but always when the party is about to be revved up. 'Captain Jack' has the guests repeat a few fast spoken Newfie words, kiss a slimy old, wet, whole cod fish, the bigger the better,(we always have one in the deep freeze, it goes in and out.), eat a chunk of raw bologna and swallow it down with a good slug of SCREECH. Then, the guest receives a certificate professing they are honorary Newfoundlanders. Ha ha ha all by drinking Jamaican Rum.
    I think Negril Tourism should organize the same little ceremony and make visitors drink the same rum, especially Boardies! All we need is that tap on the shoulders by Captain Jack's Oar and it's official. Maybe we should have a Jamaican and a Newfie do the ceremony and give out dual citizen certificates. Yes, I'm looking for a good excuse to go again. lol Now, back to the history lesson. In the 16th, 17th and early 18th centuries, my ancestors travelled by Schooner ships in a world wide triangle from Jamaica to Newfoundland to Europe. The goods exchanged were wooden crated salted fish, rum in aged wooden barrels, and the third was spices and other European commodities.
    When I go to Jamaica, (which is never enough), I always bring small pups of Newfie Screech for gifts. My friend tells me it's like bringing coals to Newcastle(coal mining town). lol But, the reaction and story that goes with the gift is always appreciated and very informative to the recipient. And always remembered.
    So to keep the trivia story going, why do you think the rum is called SCREECH?

User Info Menu

Re: Our Flagship Rum comes from Jamaica. Canada Calling.

...And to add a little to your story Jelly Bean, Cod fish has been a staple in the Jamaican diet for many years. If fact ackee and saltfish (cod) is the Jamaican national dish, but cod is not normally found in Jamaican waters. Back in the days of tall ships and pirates, Newfoundland (now called Newfoundland and Labrador) traded their cod fish for rum. The rum became Newfoundlands national drink (Screech), and the cod became Jamaica's national dish. Just a little Cliff Clavin history lesson.

User Info Menu

Ackee and Saltfish is a life changing meal.

User Info Menu

Q: Are ye a screecher?!
    A: Indeed I is me old cock, and long may yer big jib draw.
    Substitute “Boardie” for screecher, and I think you’ve got something here.
    Maybe change the answer to...
    Ya Mon, and long may your chalice draw
    Last edited by Lorax2; 07-17-2019 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Bigbamboo, In Newfoundland we still salt cod fish. Our traditional meal consists of salt fish, potatoes and brewis all boiled in the one pot. Brewis is a cake of soap shape, piece of almost rock hard bread that is presoaked and fluffs up in the cooking pot from the boiling water. Then we make a thick white sauce of flour, butter, onion and milk. And when the Mainlanders come home we make the Royal. Pork fat rendered out and fried with onions. Oh mon it's some shocking good. Forget the cholesterol on vacation! lol Here's one for you Bigbamboo. What is a Boston Barrell? Lorax2, I don't know if I'd want to call it a chalice. How about, Long may your big bowl draw?

User Info Menu

JB: Newfoundland looks fantastic. Had a 9 hour stay in Gander (middle of the night, less than halfway across the Atlantic emergency landing). The few people we met were outstanding, bus driver to hotel gave us a nice history lesson. I asked him about the saltfish and he also described your one pots. Scenery was stunning but only seen from the airplane window the next day, gotta spend more time there!

User Info Menu

Jelly Bean, lol, Bowl works for me

User Info Menu

Odinson: For the other Boardies. Newfoundland is an Island and the most easterly part of Canada. We have another part, which is a huge land mass just north of the Island. That's Labrador. We are oil rich off these coasts. Labrador is also mineral rich and a very huge controversial hydro electric power supply is under construction. Back to Gander. As we say, Gander, Gander. Are you ready to land er! Gander is central province. The airport was instrumental to your country at war times. During 911 there was something like 50 passenger and other planes landed there for a couple or few days. Talk about trying to accommodate all those passengers. But we did it. That's us. This airport is not very busy any more. Like take one wing of Chicago airport, and that's the size of our biggest airport in St. John's on the east coast. Our whole island is very beautiful. We have a population of 500,000. Clean water, air and low crime. We try to make out building lots at least a half acre........ The winters can be long, the summers short, no spring, the hunting and fishing second to none and the people, well that's us. We treat everyone like we would our family. Come and visit in August, our hottest month-we get about ten days where the temperature reaches about 70-75 degrees. True dat. Soon Come. lol

Administrator

User Info Menu

As a gentle reminder to all, please keep postings Negril/Jamaica related.

Thank you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!