Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report: Barry's Bold as Love

User Info Menu

Trip Report: Barry's Bold as Love

On April 23, 2000, I woke up in Negril and was on the beach at the quietest part of the early morning. It was Easter Sunday and a sunrise church service was well under way while Negril slept. I headed north down the beach from Travellers with no destination in mind except to find coffee. Some guys on the beach pointed me in the direction of Barry's Bold as Love and although it wasn't visible from the beach, I managed to find my way back to the yard. I made myself comfortable at one of the tables with my journal and drank my coffee with the guys who were up from the night before. I was instantly at home and asked Barry if I could see one of his rooms. He tried to rent me one of the smaller rooms downstairs, but I fell in love with the treehouse on the second floor. After breakfast, I checked out of Travellers and moved in to what would become my home away from home for many years.

I fell in love with the family who would embrace and protect me as one of their own... Barry, Liz, Shorty, Officer, Patrick, Baker, and Poppycock. It was a very memorable time in my life. It is here that my alias "Rizla" came to life, a name that I no longer use. It is here that trip reports helped so many boardies get their fixes between trips. Negril.com was our only source of social media back then. And from there, it is where many profound friendships at home were born, with two of my dearest sister-friends, one of whom was a longtime boardie named Rhonda.

If you were around the board in those days, you can recall my trips that consisted of endless days spent between this yard and next door at Coconuts International with Miss Angie, Ali, Kiddy, Melissa, Kamoy, and Sharmaine. I did little else those days, which made VicT a little crazy, than go back and forth between the family properties and I was content. Barry was only one year older than me, but held court for many of us as a wise elder. To know him was to know that he loved music, food, and talking with people from all walks of life for hours. He didn't change his personality for anyone. He treated everyone the same, from the stockies to Babylon to locals to tourists to politicians, with his sardonic wit and ability to speak on any subject.

As the years passed and as life goes, I moved on from the yard, as did many of these people. I learned of Barry's stroke and tried to get down there last December, but I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. When I read on Facebook that he passed away, I was sad to know that our time with him had run out. Somehow, I felt that he would always be there, down in Negril, where he spent his years since being raised by his grandmother, Gloria.

I wanted to go down for the funeral, but I assumed it could be a month or more before it took place. I considered getting there for the "nine night" candlelight vigil, which would have required me to, as Smith used to say, "book, pack, and go!" I was told to hold off and wait for the funeral. After a few days, I saw the information had posted that the funeral would be that Saturday. That gave me four days to get myself there.

I arrived the night before the funeral, the "last night" party. A large pot of HOT soup was cooking on the fire, the music played on, and the drinks were flowing. It was hotter than words and I was told that "summer came early this year." I didn't stay long, and the only old friend I saw was Patrick.

The next day, I was dropped off at the church in Red Ground at 11:00 AM, as people were filing in. One of the first people I saw was Officer and that is when the tears hit me. I honestly never thought I'd see him again. Soon after, I saw Barry's now grown children, Nicole and Barrington, as well as Kamoy, Melissa, and Liz. What a bittersweet occasion to be reunited with these people after 20 or so years, while saying goodbye to a man I had a tremendous amount of love and respect for.

The service lasted approximately two hours, with hymns, bible readings, a eulogy by his daughter, the pastor's message of inner peace, and several people who shared stories of Barry's life. By Jamaican standards, this was not a traditional burial service since he chose to be cremated, which I heard many grumblings about during my stay. It was still a beautiful tribute and I was so grateful to be able to be a part of this special day, for this special man.

The party took life in Barry's yard with music, food, ganja, and rum! It was an amazing day. I sat on the verandah, slightly out of the thick of it, observing as I always did, and meeting up with more people who I haven't seen in all of this time away. It went this way through the day and started to quiet down by around sunset.

The yard looks so different now. Liz has done a great job of not only keeping the business running, but helping to get it thriving again with a facelift that you can see and feel. There is a peacefulness and tranquility that has been restored after many years of transition during what I assume to be very quiet years. Francesco has opened an excellent Italian restaurant on the property and the kids of the yard now have kids of their own running around: the next generation. I am sorry that it took Barry's passing to fall back in love with this hidden gem on the beach and even more so that I wasn't able to sit and talk with him before he moved on. But after a few days of spending time there, I know that my heart feels drawn to return and spend more time there.

And so, with a very grateful heart, I feel blessed to have known Barry and to have spent the time we did together, talking and listening to music. I am grateful to have been there to honor his life and send him Home with his family and friends. He is a Negril legend whose presence will surely be missed!

Video and photos to follow.

~ Rizla
    Last edited by rizla; 07-12-2019 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report: Barry's Bold as Love

the audio clip that I used for this tribute video was recorded during the after party

User Info Menu

Riz, oh the memories....
    Thank you for your ode to Barry.

Back then my Boardie Name was Happy Travelers. Times change.

Thank you for the memories and the remembrance.

VVHT

User Info Menu

Outstanding, Great read, Thank you for the memories and your ode to Barry

User Info Menu

��

User Info Menu

Wow rizla what a beautiful tribute to Barry. Your love and respect for him fill the page and the account of the friendship that you two developed is inspiring!! In today's world we all tend to worry the little stuff and not focus on the important things in our life, our family and friends. Thank you so much for sharing with us your story and I hope that you are able to return frequently to the yard that you so love and miss. Peace and Love

User Info Menu

Oh, Dina, what a beautiful tribute to a lovely man. Sue
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt and lovely tribute to a special friend.

User Info Menu

Thanks you Rizla. i remember the Coconuts International shirts you had made. I delivered them down for you on a trip many years ago and chilled in that yard for a bit. Things sure have changed.

jmon

User Info Menu

Name:  45DC8031-DE2A-4B08-8F80-25B8494A464B.jpeg
Views: 784
Size:  2.49 MBThe next generation