Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to school costs

User Info Menu

Re: Back to school costs

This is great information I know my Mom was asking this in August she sometimes help a lady in Jamaica with her three kids.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Can I ask a few questions here? How well do you know the parent and the child you are helping? Have you been to their home? Do you trust the parent? (Your question already implies you don't trust them enough to simply ask them). Do you maintain regular contact with them after going home? Do you intend long-term follow-up (e.g. maintaining a relationship with the child, encouraging the child to do well in school, paying school fees in future years, paying for college eventually, etc)?

If you're truly helping a child to get an education and a better life, you are doing a wonderful thing. I did that myself, for 3 girls in Hanover that I met 20 years ago when they were little (youngest was 1). I put all 3 through college. Now they are grown and all 3 doing great and I'm proud of them.

Charity is great, but do your homework and follow through. Don't just throw money around.

One love,

Richard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    Can I ask a few questions here? How well do you know the parent and the child you are helping? Have you been to their home? Do you trust the parent? (Your question already implies you don't trust them enough to simply ask them). Do you maintain regular contact with them after going home? Do you intend long-term follow-up (e.g. maintaining a relationship with the child, encouraging the child to do well in school, paying school fees in future years, paying for college eventually, etc)?

If you're truly helping a child to get an education and a better life, you are doing a wonderful thing. I did that myself, for 3 girls in Hanover that I met 20 years ago when they were little (youngest was 1). I put all 3 through college. Now they are grown and all 3 doing great and I'm proud of them.

Charity is great, but do your homework and follow through. Don't just throw money around.

One love,

Richard
    Well said!

Respect

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave