Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with March Spring Breakers ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Experience with March Spring Breakers ?

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Oh the memories...
    Early 1990's at the Pickled Parrot, helping co-eds up the ladder!!!

Geez...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamman View Post
    Do places that take Negril excursion day trips (e.g. margaritaville) see an uptick in high season ? We will be staying at Negril Palms/Treehouse so just curious since that is close by ..
    From Treehouse, you'll see the big cats show up and dump of 20 or 30 people and they'll do some beer chugging contests and some other silly stuff, but it doesn't impact Treehouse guests at all. And as Ukraine said, same with the buses. It's kind of funny to watch from the water. You'll have mostly quiet and chill properties, then you see Mville with rows and rows of loungers packed with people stepping over each other. Then two hours later, nothing.

User Info Menu

Pickled Parrot, springbreak '99.
    We stayed at Firefly which was billed as 3/5 stars while properties like Samsara were 4/5 if I recall. What they didn't tell us was that FF was clothes optional. It was definitely funny seeing old euro tourists with all their saggy bits lounging among 18-22 year old spring breakers. By the end of the trip, one of my buddies worked up enough courage (or had enough rum) to go au naturel, then realized he didn't have anyplace to put his wallet. In between sips of redstripe, without missing a beat, I told him he "could just shove it up his a$$."

Name:  PP_ja.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  35.2 KB

User Info Menu

If they are young and in bikinis they are always welcome at the resort I am staying at!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis View Post
    But the days of crowds of students is long over...
    I find this interesting. It's not the first time I have heard this. What do you think is the reason spring break isn't the same as it used to be? I never went on a spring break trip myself so it's something I never experienced.
    Is spring break just not the cool thing to do, or do they go elsewhere now?

Thanks,
    The North American spring break still exists, but as with any tradition it can gain and lose popularity as do the destinations.

Negril no longer caters specifically to the Spring Break crowd for many reasons. For one, there was little money being made by the smaller properties as most of the spring break companies arranged everything in advance, usually at huge discounts which they would pocket the profits. Good business for them, bad business for Negril.

The passport requirement had been taking a toll after 9/11, with many US destinations increasing their market share.

The tendency of the foreign DJs and MCs to take the parties to a drunken sexual extreme was becoming too much for the local authorities to bear.

And the fact that MTV got kicked out of Negril did not help matters any.... we kinda got on their bad side for that....

The entire situation blends many of the above over many years, but these should give you a good idea why Negril no longer has a "spring break" season.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

We've reached in March a few times and haven't really noticed any spring breakers. The Merrill's resorts used to have a lot of young people at that time; but, hey, they have to go somewhere, right?. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies ... Glad it's not going to be overrun with them ..

User Info Menu

Risky Business!!!!! I cant remember much.

Kids stay in the states or go to the DR or Mexico. Blaahhhhh.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yeah, I still occasionally see groups of them in the airport in March heading to Cancun or DR. No longer to Negril. I remember when they used to overrun the low-end Negril hotels in March staying like 20 to a room and holding loud drunken parties. Nobody really wanted them around. Even the ho's avoided them. Good riddance.