Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Kosher Hot Spot

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Kosher Hot Spot

Was surprised to see this shortly after leaving the airport. Did I fly to the wrong country? Or has Montego Bay been relocated to Israel?

The Orthodox Hasidic Jews who run this place seem kind of out of place in Jamaica, but they are very nice, and the falafel is excellent. And if you talk with them, and are Jewish, you might well get invited to Shabbat dinner at the rabbi's home. (I am not kidding). L'Chaim!

Name:  kosher.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  1.85 MB

User Info Menu

Re: Kosher Hot Spot

That’s pretty cool

Administrator

User Info Menu

There is a 500 year history of the Hebrew faith in Jamaica.

And there are many links between Rastafari and Judaism.

A very interesting topic...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There is a 500 year history of the Hebrew faith in Jamaica.

And there are many links between Rastafari and Judaism.

A very interesting topic...
    So Very True, with their beliefs in the Old Testament. The biggest difference is Rastafarians believe the Messiah has already come, ie Ras Tafari, Haile Salassie I. There are still many differences but more similarities than most know such as, dietary, core principles, ideals, values and ethics, and of coarse, both practice the restriction of an alteration to the hair. Great subject

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yes, true, but these particular Hasidic Jews are not descendents of Jamaican Jews from way back when. They came more recently. Chabad (Lubavitch Hasidism) is known for their worldwide outreach programs. They are Jewish missionaries, essentially. I didn't know they were in Jamaica until I ran into this place.