Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Negril Palms-guard dog

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Palms-guard dog

As I said it was a "heads up" to anyone that may find themselves in this area at night. I find some of the responses somewhat peculiar but hey, to each their own. I have vast experience with pet dogs as well as specialized working dogs. To be quite honest I was trying to be polite and somewhat subtle but maybe I should be far more blunt. This dog is a ticking time bomb. Be careful.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

There are also packs of wild dogs in rural Jamaica. I don't know if they are actually dangerous to adult humans, but it is quite scary to find yourself surrounded by a pack of barking wild dogs at night. I found myself in that situation once, a number of years ago. I threw stones at them and they ran away.

User Info Menu

Jamaica Jeff...the thread took a bit of a turn to a different situation...
    but, I hear you loud & clear!!
    I first saw the guards with the pit bulls at Treehouse one late afternoon/early evening & it scared the beegeezuz out of me!!
    I dont know WTH they're thinking using these dogs as security...the guards were definitely not in control of the dogs!!
    Just to note...this is only the second time I've heard of or seen the dogs...not sure if this is supposed to become a regular measure of security.

User Info Menu

Bnewb, I certainly hope that it is an ill-conceived idea and whoever is commissioning the use of this dog or dogs will re-think things.

I would hate to see someone get injured or worse which is highly probable in this situation.

A properly trained "guard" dog is trained to not react in any way, shape or form until the handler gives them a specific command.

User Info Menu

Where I stay there are 2 Rottweilers that don't bother people who stay there but will guard the entrance for people who should not be there. Day time is OK but they roam at night and will bark if someone comes on the property. I do not nor have I ever trusted Pit Bulls since one charged at me and my large dog years ago.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Last year, as we were walking past Treehouse, they had an event on the beach, and was fenced off by the lovely blue tarps. There were two security guards walking the perimeter with German Shepard dogs, and they looked mean {the dogs}. WTF? Seriously? What are they scared of? A tourist might try to "sneak" in? This was in the middle of the afternoon. Paranoid much? FYI: Green Leaf cabins has vicious pitbull mixed type of dogs. Beware. If in your lifetime you've ever been bit by a vicious dog {I have} It makes you think twice about them. Good luck with the "doggie treats". Just sayin'.........

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sometimes I've found in Negril that the security guards, rather than offering protection, are the ones you need protection *from*. Or in a few cases, their dogs. Unfortunately...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    Sometimes I've found in Negril that the security guards, rather than offering protection, are the ones you need protection *from*. Or in a few cases, their dogs. Unfortunately...
    I hope it gets better for you, Rtitle...

User Info Menu

I am a jogger and have had many encounters with dogs. I always growl, bark, and go right at them. Scares the **** out of them usually. I have only once had one not back off in 30 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis View Post
    I am a jogger and have had many encounters with dogs. I always growl, bark, and go right at them. Scares the **** out of them usually. I have only once had one not back off in 30 years.
    Sounds like a dangerous approach to a dog especially in Jamaica. I have known some people who have used that same approach with a firearm and more than a few had an experience where that didn't work so well.

It has been my observation concerning the interactions with people and dogs in Jamaica that a lot of Jamaicans run and the dogs will often chase them until they stop and pick up a rock or at least pretend they have a rock and make like they are going to fling it. Some dogs didn't get the memo, I guess, because they often ended up biting them.

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.