Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 11th

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: September 11th

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    ...It was surreal watching it on TV from Boston; would have been even more surreal watching it from Jamaica I imagine.
    Here is what I wrote on that day's Negril Today page while still not believing what I was seeing:

Today, the world changed. Everyone was glued to CNN as the surreal images of the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City coming down after a well organized hostage attack were repeated from various angles in this age of the video camera. The attendees at the Tuesday Board Meeting Daze this week at Sam Sara sat in shock as the free world became a little less free. People from all over the world must have been in those buildings and this is not just an American tragedy, but one that will forever change the world. Sitting at sunset in Negril is always great, but on this day, the shock at the scope of the destruction acted as a cloud over the setting sun. Take care everyone and our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims of this horrible event.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: September 11th

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    I was joking of course. I was in Negril right before that happened, and I was back in Boston on Sep 11 2001. It was surreal watching it on TV from Boston; would have been even more surreal watching it from Jamaica I imagine.
    I was in a route taxi heading back to Billy's Bay in Treasure Beach from grocery shopping and paying my C&W bill when I heard it on the driver's car radio. The taxi was packed and the chattering stopped as we were frozen in disbelief. I remember laughing for a moment thinking it was a prank like Orson Welles' War of the Worlds in 1938 but soon realized it was real.

The already rough road became even rougher as Kenny, our driver, was rushing to get home. I had him drop me off at Golden Sands at Frenchman's Bay because I knew the cottage had a color TV. The owner's daughter and I watched it play over and over again and it still seemed so unreal. In about an hour or two, I made my way back to Irie Rest and put the groceries away before heading to Skip's corner bar where half the community was gathered in the pool room angrily yelling at the TV.

I was a little dazed still and not totally comprehending what I was watching. I just couldn't believe how angry and personally outraged the town's people were. Several had been to NYC and some to the World Trade Center Buildings and a lot knew some Jamaican relative or two that worked in that area. I can remember everything about that day just like when I was in typing class when the loudspeaker at my high school broke in to say JFK had been assassinated in Dallas.

Some things are not funny on any level. If you live in Jamaica you better keep that in mind.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.