Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For our Thomas Cook visitors...

Administrator

User Info Menu

For our Thomas Cook visitors...

"All Thomas Cook tourists in Jamaica will continue to enjoy our warm hospitality until it is time for them to return home,” said Bartlett who, additionally, met with British High Commissioner Asif Ahmad Monday at Jamaica House.

The high commissioner confirmed that customers currently abroad with Thomas Cook who are booked to return to the UK over the next two weeks, will be brought back to their home as close as possible to their booked return date.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...as_Cook_effect
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: For our Thomas Cook visitors...

The Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (ATOL) fund, which is paid for through industry levies, will cover the cost of the holiday and repatriation for those who were stranded.

Yesterday, the first group of 333 Thomas Cook passengers stranded in Jamaica were repatriated back to the UK via Virgin Atlantic from the Sangster International Airport.

“A number of repatriation flights will be operating between Jamaica and the UK for the next two weeks, however, in the meantime, all Thomas Cook tourists in Jamaica will continue to enjoy the country’s warm hospitality until it’s time for them to return home,” a statement from Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett said yesterday.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...o-agents-avoid

User Info Menu

Well done Jamaica, well done.

User Info Menu

Well Done x2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamboo View Post
    Well done Jamaica, well done.
    Well done Jamaica what? What specifically did the government of Jamaica do to help these potentially stranded travellers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    Well done Jamaica what? What specifically did the government of Jamaica do to help these potentially stranded travellers?
    that's what i was wondering, too.

i read the observer article to see if there was any mention of exactly what the gvt., tourism industry and individual hotels were doing to make sure stranded travelers have a safe/affordable/enjoyable/etc. time while waiting to get home and didn't see anything.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Specifically, from the British High Commissioner:

"British High Commissioner to Jamaica Asif Ahmad says he is grateful for Jamaica's support in assisting customers of travel firm Thomas Cook, which collapsed into bankruptcy on Monday, leaving some 600,000 holidaymakers stranded in a number of countries, including Jamaica."

http://amp.jamaicaobserver.com/lates..._Cook_collapse

Administrator

User Info Menu

And specifically, from the President of the JHTA:

Omar Robinson, President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA), has sought to assure tourists who may be affected by the Thomas Cook collapse to "continue to enjoy their vacation while we work out the details in getting them home."

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/local/m...-jamaica-today

User Info Menu

My point exactly Rob. Lots of talk which may have resulted in helping to coordinate the "repatriation" of affected tourists but I sincerely doubt that other than for some "man hours" that they contributed in any way financially.

Administrator

User Info Menu

My point exactly Rob. Lots of talk which may have resulted in helping to coordinate the "repatriation" of affected tourists but I sincerely doubt that other than for some "man hours" that they contributed in any way financially.
    Why does Jamaica have to contribute actual dollars in order to help and assist in this situation for it to mean anything? And what is wrong with "human hours"? Do those Jamaican folks time and effort mean nothing?

Years ago when I was helping to organize spring break trips from Ohio State, when there was a problem with one of the charter flights, we were assisted greatly by the government. Between waivers, extensions, free phone calls, expedited permits, etc, it would have been a nightmare without the help.

A British company that pays British taxes goes bankrupt. Even the British wouldn't expect a small island like Jamaica to foot any part of the bill.

Jamaica has assisted to the point that the British High Commissioner publicly announced that he is grateful.

I think that the High Commissioner would be the one to know the best.