Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For our Thomas Cook visitors...

User Info Menu

Re: For our Thomas Cook visitors...

I was simply shining light on the well known fact that the Jamaican government is quite quick to seek praise for its "efforts" in many situations when in fact most of those are sorted out by others and funded by others.

What's the British High Commissioner going to say in the midst of it all? The Jamaican government was not helpful?

As far as actual dollars? Come on Rob. Maybe you haven't flown to Canada or the U.S. lately and taken the time to look at the fees that the Jamaican government collects in various shapes and forms from airfare alone. ASTRONOMICAL! Don't tell me that their "human hours" is a significant expense relative to what they rake in from tourist generated fees not to mention the revenue from GCT directly and indirectly that each tourist contributes to the JA economy.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    I was simply shining light on the well known fact that the Jamaican government is quite quick to seek praise for its "efforts" in many situations when in fact most of those are sorted out by others and funded by others.

What's the British High Commissioner going to say in the midst of it all? The Jamaican government was not helpful?

As far as actual dollars? Come on Rob. Maybe you haven't flown to Canada or the U.S. lately and taken the time to look at the fees that the Jamaican government collects in various shapes and forms from airfare alone. ASTRONOMICAL! Don't tell me that their "human hours" is a significant expense relative to what they rake in from tourist generated fees not to mention the revenue from GCT directly and indirectly that each tourist contributes to the JA economy.
    Jeff,

Could you please shed a little more light on your well known "fact" that the Jamaican government is quite quick to seek praise for its "efforts". I live here and have never read, heard or seen anything about this "fact".

The British High Commissioner is perfectly able to say what he means, and he did have the choice to say nothing. But he chose to say what he said.

Until November of this year, Jamaica has been under the economic rules of IMF which is controlled by the USA. Many of the taxes and fees at the airport are a direct consequence of the IMF. Departure fees for Caribbean countries range from $15 to $51, Jamaica being in the middle with $35. The US international departure tax is $18.60 with a whole slew of taxes and fees including flight segment, frequent flyer and even a DHS September 11 fee. Jamaica is far from unique or astronomical in it's fees.

The TEF fee is a tourist charged fee going directly back to the tourism areas in the form of upgrades such as the sidewalk on Norman Manley and the added street lights without raising the taxes on the average Jamaican.

And I feel that Jamaican human hours are worth just as much as the human hours in any other country.

As for the GCT, that is worth a whole discussion on its own and can be exceedingly boring. But to keep this easy, the sales tax in NYC can be as high as 18.375% with Jamaica at 16.5%.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

There are stories from around the globe of hotels trying to force tourists to pay the hotel bills that TC will default on. And people thrown out of their rooms with no where to stay until return flights could be arranged.

I think it's a great contribution if JA hoteliers were able to avoid that and instead continue to offer guests their full hospitality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
    There are stories from around the globe of hotels trying to force tourists to pay the hotel bills that TC will default on. And people thrown out of their rooms with no where to stay until return flights could be arranged.

I think it's a great contribution if JA hoteliers were able to avoid that and instead continue to offer guests their full hospitality.
    yes, that was exactly the type of confirmation i was expecting to see in the observer article.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jon,

That is one of the ways that Jamaica has been assisting with the British High Commission. I have not heard of any hotels holding guest at ransom as has been happening elsewhere.

When I got stranded here after Gilbert in '88, we were stuck for 5 days. No one charged for anything but we did offer token payments since there was no way to get cash. Hotels across the island did not charge for the extra days. When you are stressed out, that is worth more than money!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob,

I am sure that with you living HERE that you read the Observer, Gleaner etc on a daily basis as I do including when I am not living for a good part of the year in Negril.

Sorry for the use of the word "fact" (not surprised that you chose to split hairs on the word not the issue) but if you read any government related newspaper article the general gist is typically the government/authorities proclaiming how excellent government and the delivery of government services are in Jamaica. Many disagree. That's my opinion and that of many of my neighbours, friends etc in Jamaica.

I am not sure what the sales tax in NYC has to do with the GCT (thanks for clarifying the 16.5% part) and I agree that a discussion of GCT can be boring. Not boring for the Jamaican government when you take in to consideration what percentage of their total revenue is derived from the GCT.

The IMF? You don't say? I didn't realize that. So the airport related fees that the Jamaican government collect go to the IMF?

Before you take the time to answer let me clarify that the above is rhetorical SARCASM. Perfect civilized. Actually a common type of subtle and sometimes not so subtle communication especially favoured by the British. The same British whos High Commissioner when asked for a statement (as he would have been asked by many, many countries affected by the Thomas Cook bankruptcy) chose to make a blanket and seemingly generic statement which is the common and polite thing to do.

I am not sure where you are going with the human hours in Jamaica being worth just as much as in any other country? Did I indicate or infer otherwise?

I admire your love of Jamaica and your desire to promote and protect all things Jamaican but you may want to consider that others are entitled to their opinions just as you are. Constantly jumping on anyone who speaks their mind is quite common in Jamaica. Encouraging free speech and an independent media has been cited by Transparency International as one way to improve certain problems in Jamaica.

I do not live here full time and have only been coming to Jamaica for 33 years but I do strive to learn as much as I can as often as I can.

That being said thank-you for providing this forum.

Respect.
    Last edited by Jamaica Jeff; 09-25-2019 at 05:39 PM.