Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal here?

User Info Menu

Re: What’s the deal here

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    What you feel is similar to what a drug addict feels trying to reach the same level of high and never quite getting there. First trips and the vibe can be magical and surreal. Most of us have had that type of experience traveling to Jamaica. Sometimes our recollections of the past can be a little jaded as well. Minor problems are easily brushed off at first and can become quite annoying as time goes on. I combat this by staying in different places all over the island where I can experience new and different environments and people on a regular basis.

Of course, Negril will never be like it was in the old days. There are lots of places that are still stuck in the "old days" if you explore for them. Over 36 years of visiting, Jamaica has lost a little of the original luster but it is still better than most other places I have been.

Just my opinion.
    Well stated Bill so very true

User Info Menu

Great thread
    i agree things have changed,,, scooters on the beach. new properties..higglers selling there wares.
    the hustle sill has not changed, just more creative.. been travelling since "97"..originally first few visits,
    exceptional...changed locations many times,,explored many , many properties... from the west end, to negril, to private villas in MBJ..to AI in RunAway Bay to Ocho........but the vibe has changed...Jamaica has been complacent..maybe I have been coming for too long...I am planning another trip to the ROCK for some newbies...but...I am considering BVI...instead
    to me...it has become stale...nothing new,,nothing vibrant...

User Info Menu

Accompong our visiting time has only been a third of yours. You make some great points. Something I failed to mention is that I feel Jamaica is attracting different visitors than it did a decade ago as well. People with higher expectations that are driving the Jamaican's to provide venues and accommodations that I never expected to see there. This in part, plus the new different clientele may be changing the vibe for me. A little birdie told about another quiet beach.......a place of treasure so to speak.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    Negril is changing at an alarming rate. I can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason Negril's coming of age saddens me. I should be happy for them, I am happy for them. I just find myself wondering if the vibe will change.
    I am curious what changes are saddening to you.

Irine I have 'grown up' travelling to Negril for Spring Breaks, middle age vacations, and now old dude vacations. My friends and I have seen plenty of things change and lots of things that have stayed exactly the same. Generally speaking the crowd seems older, like me. When you see younger folks good chance they are there with older friends or family.

Some of the old venues that struggled to keep afloat high season to high season have changed or disappeared. The beach isn't thumping with live music as much as it did in the past, for better or worse, many would argue the better. When I think of Negril 'coming of age' it reminds me of how we all have gotten a little older, a little slower, and little more likely to enjoy a good night's rest instead of trying to count my feet and find my way home at dawn like a vampire.

Oddly enough our group of Negrillerz has gone from 4 or 5 people to more than 20.

User Info Menu

First came on honeymoon in '86 ... stayed in Falmouth and took day trip to Negril .. it was awesome ! Have made 10 trips to Negril since '86

We have only come in the off season, so kinda hard to know how it may compare to high season.

Coming for the first time during high season next March, so will be interesting so compare to off season for us ..

Seem to remember more activity on the beach way back then and more people and vibe does seem to have changed but so have I !!
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    Accompong our visiting time has only been a third of yours. You make some great points. Something I failed to mention is that I feel Jamaica is attracting different visitors than it did a decade ago as well. People with higher expectations that are driving the Jamaican's to provide venues and accommodations that I never expected to see there. This in part, plus the new different clientele may be changing the vibe for me. A little birdie told about another quiet beach.......a place of treasure so to speak.
    We tried there last year in October instead of Negril. Maybe it was the time of year; but it was really slow. Not very many places were open most of the time. We missed walking the beach and popping into places along the way. Not as much of that where we were. If you want quiet and solitude, however, it might be your place.

User Info Menu

yep, I agree with Weatherman and Mi Lady ( what a perfect name for you two, by the way !! : ).. spent one day there with friends...ehh.. The whole appeal for me in Negril is walking on the beach , swimming in the ocean, stopping in all the familiar places, with the friendly '' welcome back ''.. going up o the cliffs for a great dinner, and sunset, listening to the familiar music, and seeing so many friends... with that said, the vibe has indeed changed a bit. I for one do not like at all the picture of the bike riding on the beach..what is that all about ?? I do not dig it ! unless it is a undercover cop...lol

User Info Menu

I believe that I have heard that same little birdie.

User Info Menu

Loved our October visit to Negril. We’ve been coming since 89 and still don’t tire of it. I feel sentimental about things closing or changing but it’s the same with things in my home town. Life moves on and we’re just along for the ride. When I get frustrated with something in Jamaica I remind myself this isn’t my country (yet, lol) and I am seeing things through eyes and experiences shaped from growing up in the US. I think many of us old timers can switch on our Jamaica brain and see things differently. Reminiscing about the old days is great but there are many new places and things happening that are also great. The town is looking clean and fresh and almost ready for high season!!

Wish my next trip was sooner than February. Now that I’m home with great internet I’ll work on posting some more pictures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    Loved our October visit to Negril. We’ve been coming since 89 and still don’t tire of it. I feel sentimental about things closing or changing but it’s the same with things in my home town. Life moves on and we’re just along for the ride. When I get frustrated with something in Jamaica I remind myself this isn’t my country (yet, lol) and I am seeing things through eyes and experiences shaped from growing up in the US. I think many of us old timers can switch on our Jamaica brain and see things differently. Reminiscing about the old days is great but there are many new places and things happening that are also great. The town is looking clean and fresh and almost ready for high season!!

Wish my next trip was sooner than February. Now that I’m home with great internet I’ll work on posting some more pictures.
    Beautifully said...