Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Negril Beach Club Condo - Be aware !!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Rob,

As i wrote down this am, it was not a PARTY, it was a simple dinner. For me a party and a dinner are different. So please don't mess my words.

You mentionned ''Yet you suggest that the Jamaican security, Jamaican staff, Jamaican management and Jamaican owners may be to blame''. What i wrote is that i had DOUBTS about the JAMAICAN MANAGEMENT and not all the people you mention such has Jamaican staff, i never mentionned those people. I did also write down that Mrs. Gaynair has been cool when we chatted together. So what i mean is yes there are not all bad people in Jamaica it's like any people in the world. Good people and bad people. That was my meaning.

Don't mess up with my words.

So the basic fact is that i've been robbed, i will never know from who. The other fact is that an hotel has to have doors secured lock on them before renting a room.

You see, you make me feel as i am the bad person and i'm the victim here.
    Christine,

You have been the victim of a crime. No one has been disputing that. It is a terrible thing to go through. After being a victim of a crime, you have chosen to use this forum to make a condemning post about the NBCC and directly making a suggestion that you feel that security may have had something to do with it. You made this condemning post without stating some key details in the story, leaving out facts that would suggest that someone other than security had something to do with it. It wasnt until one poster suggested to you that you are not being forthcoming with all the pertinent details and another poster directly mentions that you had a boyfriend in the room with you, did you finally allow everyone to know this critical bit of information.

Leaving out such key details when making such a condemning post is not fair to anyone; the property, the staff, the owners of the property or the readers here on Negril.com. With these omissions you created more victims including the security staff that you made reference to without any proof in your original post. You are a victim of a crime yes, but by leaving out the true facts in your original post you created other, new victims. This is your own doing and you are not a victim regarding this thread - you created these victims by unfairly accusing others and not letting everyone know key details that did not support your accusations.

As for the word "party", another poster used the word "party" as was described to them by a source in Negril who witnessed the dinner/party. I was simply using the word that the poster used since you had not been forthcoming with that information as you didnt about your boyfriend who stayed in your room.

About Mrs. Gaynair, you didnt state in your first post that everything was cool but that "the manager of my room Mrs. Gaynair only gave me 100.00us for compensation." This is far from sounding like everything was cool and does not put Mrs. Gaynair in a good light. Because you wrote about her being cool later does not change the content of your original condemning post.

I agree that a hotel should have secure working locks on their doors. But if I choose to stay in a room without a properly working lock and had stuff stolen, I sure as heck would not come on the internet and condemn the hotel for my lack of due diligence in not demanding a different room.

You are a victim of a crime and that is unfortunate to say the least. But regarding this thread, you created victims of others by omitting important details that would obviously not support your suggestion that the security staff had something to do with the robbery. Just because you are victim of a crime does not give you the right to create new, equally innocent victims.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Good point Blandy1 about properties not allowing Jamaicans. I - based on years of travel to Negril - often thought this & have also been told this is exactly why. It opens the owners up to too many potential problems. Along the same lines, I've had Jamaican male friends tell me that properties don't like to do this because, if the relationship goes bad, they don't want the person on the grounds after the fact. This is why they don't allow them in the first place.

Also... NBCC is one of numerous entities that call the Beach Club property home. There are privately owned condos rented out by another party, privately owned condos lived in &/or rented out by their owners, hotel rooms, etc. The management of the property, not Mrs. Gaynair, is responsible for security. She can ask for more security guards but, since the current manager chose to cut back from the higher level of staffing in the past, asking isn't likely to make it happen.

Also for the person who chose to take a stab at me regarding not renting 1st floor rooms to single women. Common sense should help one figure out that there will be times this won't happen... no other rooms of the type wanted are available for the dates requested, the person wants to be closer to the beach & that's all that's available, etc. I have other female friends who choose to stay on the ground floor, period. They like being in the mix of things. I also know people who forgot to lock their door after coming in a bit wasted & lost cash & expensive jewelry. Quote from the husband, "That's what I get for being stupid." (I'm not implying you were Christine so please don't go there.)

Yes, it sounds like locks need to be replaced. I hope this will help get it done. Often though, unless the manager is told something is broken, they don't know to fix it. Yes, housekeeping should alert the management but I'm guessing they're more focused on their job. It would be good to add this to a "to do" list after a guest leaves/before one arrives. I know when I arrive for my long summer stay in my TS room I always have a list of things that need to be fixed/replaced. The previous tenants never mentioned anything so they didn't know.

My TS rooms do not have the wooden stick that the NBCC rooms have yet I feel secure, just use my window lock as an extra precaution since I know thefts can happen. When there was more security, they still happened.

Sometimes, after cleaning patios/balconies, housekeeping may not remember to lock the sliding glass door. As the person staying in the room, it is MY responsibility to make sure it is secured, just as it is at home. I have 4 sets of sliding glass doors at home w/out the wooden sticks & have never had a break in.

Leaving out facts invites questioning of credibility as do several other comments made. People talk, e-mail, share information so posting selective information is bound to come back & bite the poster. Honesty - which means all the facts, not just the ones that make the best story - is always the best policy. My mom taught me that as a child. Not telling everything is not being honest. If something bad happens, just tell the honest truth.

Thank you, Rob, for your insightful & accurate responses.

User Info Menu

Yvonne, I was not saying just Jamaicans as overnight guest, I am saying most properties do not allow any (regardless of what nationally they are) overnight guest if they are not registered there. It is just too much of a liabillity for the properties.

I did send Jean a message after we got home about some things in our rooms, that I thought she might not be aware of. These things were not a big issue for us but might me for the next person & felt she should know, so they could be addressed. I enjoy our stays there & things can not be addressed if she is not aware of them. We would not hesitate to stay there again even if they are not fixed, as it is a wonderful property that we enjoy. Common sense plays a big part in our life's at home & should also when you are on vacation.

Christine, again I am sorry this happened to you, as you seemed to be a very nice lady. We just have to keep our witts about us at all times, as you never know when & what can happen.
    Getting Old Isn't For Sissy's!!

User Info Menu

The rest of the story & the after-story from Mrs. Gaynair who asked me to post this for her...

I have been taking care of visitors to Negril for over 30 yrs. It's important to me to maintain their safety. I always try to brief visitors about their responsibility as well. Initially I had no doubt about the entry to Christine’s room but, after her boyfriend’s death threat and demand for cash from the security manager, it left everyone concerned in doubt now. She checked in with her Jamaican boyfriend in late October & spent 8 nights in that room before the incident took place. Her front door has a working dead bolt lock and a chain. The patio door has a chain and a lock plus the stick which everyone is advised to use as an extra security measure (posted on the door... a reminder to use all locks & observe security measures). This was her first time staying at the Beach Club.

According to security, her Jamaican boyfriend has stayed and visited guests on the property on a few occasions in the past. Security observed that Christine‘s friend had a lot of local visitors coming to their apartment, staying late and cooking, some were not allowed in. The night in question they had a dinner party and were up late, they did not lock their patio door, they admitted that to me and other guests that they never used the chain or the stick. After they made the report of their loss to the police ($100us and $25ca, 2 cell phones, etc.) I told her and her friend that they have to take some of the blame as they left the door open/did not lock it. I gave her the $100us cash. Her camera and 2 cell phones will be covered by NBCC insurance which was reported. She also had travel insurance for which she got the report from the police to make the claim.

However, early next morning her friend went to the security manager, demanded money, threatened his life, and said he'd stab him with scissors and "blood him up" if he did not pay him $400 us for his phone, $600 us for camera and $400 us for Christine's cell phone. He has also threatened other workers.

The security manager had to call in the police and file a report of the death threat by her boyfriend. The boyfriend returned to the hotel again after they'd checked out and continued to demand money. The police had to be called in and they removed him and asked him not to return to the property. Since that time, the police concluded he is of questionable character, unemployed, and possibly robbed himself. He told me & the security chief that if they did not give him the money he demanded, Christine was going on the internet to spread his story.

I will also post this as a new thread so others do not miss it.

User Info Menu

So from what I have learned from this post is this......

Big Bamboo has hidden cost.....