Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbnb - experiences/opinions ?

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Airbnb - experiences/opinions ?

I had a few good Airbnb experiences in Jamaica prior to buying my own home. I had been thinking of signing up as an Airbnb host in Jamaica once I am more settled into my new home there.

However, a recent Airbnb experience from hell, in Toronto, has soured me on the company and its business model. Maybe I will look at other sharing platforms instead.

I was wondering if others have experiences or opinions of Airbnb and/or its competitors.

Richard

User Info Menu

Re: Airbnb - experiences/opinions ?

I have used AirBnb at least 10 times in Jamaica and all have been 100 % positive . Some pure gems , that might go unfound without the platform . I am a fan .

User Info Menu

I, too, have used Airbnb on several occasions with mostly positive results. As in real estate, the "location, location, location" of the property is what is important. Someone wanting to visit Negril won't want a location that we used to affectionately refer to as out in the "boonies". In fact, a lot don't even want a far out west end location let alone somewhere in an area they can't even locate on a map.

Secondly, to rent a house you have to be concerned about what kind of an owner you are renting from. That owner's relationship with the community around his house will be visited upon you when you show up to take possession. Without reviews from previous renters or first-hand knowledge of a property you are taking a chance, in my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Huge fan... you can score deals (value for $$$) that hotels usually don’t offer... I’ve stayed at several... last one was a recently
    Remodeled unit at sunshine village with a/c and great WiFi for $38 a night... you won’t get that in a hotel rate for the most part nowadays

User Info Menu

I have stayed in Airbnb rentals all over the world for many years and have had great experiences! Had one crazy experience in Chicago (one of the closest to home rentals I've had) , but would honestly stay at that place again if needed - lol. I think Airbnb is awesome and not going away anytime soon It's definitely my first go-to website/app when looking for lodging anywhere.

I should add that I've stayed in 8 different Airbnbs in Ja and all were great
    Last edited by agregory; 12-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Cool. I had good Jamaica Airbnb experiences too, 2 in Lucea and 1 in Petersfield. Made a couple friendships that persist to today. But in Toronto I got ripped off. There are people turning slummy city dwellings that they don't live in, into illegal hotels rented out on Airbnb. In the worst cases, these can be downright dangerous. Airbnb can't or won't help you if you're caught in such a situation. Be careful.

User Info Menu

We've used both airbnb and vrbo without any problems. I prefer vrbo.

Last year a friend was joining us in Negril. He had never traveled outside of the states before. He booked a place on the north end of the beach using airbnb. His flight was about 4 hours late getting into MoBay. He grabs a cab at the airport and the cabbie tries to reach the rental for directions as he had never heard of the place. No answer, no answer, no answer. My bud has the address so they map their way to the crib. The gate is locked and the place is totally dark. Nobody home. By now it is near midnight and my bud assumes that we are all racked out - a good assumption. The cab driver finally tells him 'Yuh staying at mi yaad'. They pick up some stripes and 2 half chickens. He sleeps on the couch. Next morning the cab driver's Mother makes everyone breakfast. He eventually finds his way to our hotel on the beach. He had a great time and got to enjoy some real Jamaican hospitality. He did get a refund through airbnb.

Airbnb has had some problems:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...scam-on-airbnb

User Info Menu

I stayed in an airbnb this last January in Negril and had an AMAZING experience. I went to book for this coming January and noticed that the airbnb was not listed anymore and most of the reasonable ones weren't on airbnb anymore. I discovered though that they had moved to VRBO, and now I have booked the same place for the same price on VRBO. My suspicions are that airbnb itself is screwing around the local airbnb lister's and that's why they may have switched platforms.

User Info Menu

I see Blue Cave Castle is listed on VRBO https://www.vrbo.com/9219752ha?adult...ure=2020-02-28

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I like that story about your friend. Nice cabbie, letting your friend stay with him when his Airbnb fell through.

My Toronto experience was similar to that Chicago experience written up in that "nationwide Airbnb scam" article. "Worldwide Airbnb scam" would be more accurate.

Airbnb seems to be going downhill. Will check out vrbo.