Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: money rates

User Info Menu

money rates

what is the exchange rate per us in negril ,??? how much ja do i get for one us?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: money rates

Going rate is 120 to 1
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

thanks rob , i bought some ja at my bank a couple of months ago , 120j was the rate i got here, 7 more sleeps , get to negril the 19th cant wait 40s and raining here

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I exchange at a suoermarket ("Mr Chin's" as Jamaicans call it) because it's quick and efficient. Usually I get 125 but it seems to fluctuate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    I exchange at a suoermarket ("Mr Chin's" as Jamaicans call it) because it's quick and efficient. Usually I get 125 but it seems to fluctuate.
    i hear ya rtitle but i am there for two months i am jest trying to cut my trips to the cambio, i do the same thing as you to , i was wondering if i got riped off getting from my bank in town,, always seems the rate goes down every time i exchange money[lol] i will still have to change money there, thanks for the mr chin tip,,,,

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ya I don't know if the supermarkets in Negril do it. I go to Lulufa supermarket in Sav where a Chinese woman sits in a booth right at the entrance way up there overlooking the store. She knows me so I don't even have to say anything. I just hand US dollars up to her in the booth and she hands me back JMD. I joked to someone I am exchanging money with God because of the way I am handing it up to someone above. Unlike the ******* money changers in front of the supermarket in Negril, she always hands me the right amount in the appropriate denominations (e.g. if a large amount, she'll give back 5000J bills). Those Negril guys always try to short-change you and one of their tricks is to hand back a large (but short of the right amount) stack of small bills that take time to count figuring the customer won't bother to count it. And if you do, they'll want to count it themselves, and then it turns into an argument with the same stack of bills being counted a re-counted with both sides claiming a different count. I don't have time for that crap. I don't use banks/cambios because (I think) they require a passport and I'm not generally carrying around my passport as I go about my day doing errands.

User Info Menu

A driver's license works as ID at the cambios.

On Friday 1/3, the cambio at the roundabout was buying US for 122. and selling for 133. The Scotiabank next door was at 112. (NOT a typo). The official interbank rate was 131. Withdrawing 30,000 JMD at a time from the ATM remains the best exchange rate overall.

By the way, the cambio at the Hi-Lo is moving to the plaza next door and is closed for a few days (again, as of Friday 1/3).
    Last edited by wrtiii; 01-05-2020 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

The Cambio rates here go up slowly and go down quick....lol
    You could get $125J to $1us a month ago.....
    Last Summer it was around $122J/$123J....
    And wi back to dat again....but who knows how long

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

The international rate is $132 J to US $1. Check with your bank. I use my debit card to pull money from either a Scotia or NCB bank and would get $130Js (after the atm fee and 1% international fee that my bank, ALLY, charges me). The only problem is that you can only pull out $500 worth in US a day (so I go back to a bank later in the week for the rest during my 10 day stay)

User Info Menu

do the math doubt you get 130 , got to pay juice to jamaica, when i bought rate was 133j,, in the end i got 120j