Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: bicycling to Negril tomorrow...

Sponsor

User Info Menu

bicycling to Negril tomorrow...

... wish me luck!

I returned my rental so I am living car-free in Jamaica (and loving it!). Tomorrow I plan to bicycle from my home to Negril, a distance of about 35km. We'll see how it goes. If anyone is around and wants to meet up, drop me a PM. Assuming I make it, I'll be hanging out at Barry's hotel and at Footeprints (meeting a friend at each place).

Richard

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Re: bicycling to Negril tomorrow...

Made it there and back. Was a beautiful day in Negril. Took me 2 hours to bike to Negril. For the trip home I cheated by using a route taxi part of the way (Negril-Sav)., I discovered he was willing to carry my bike if I pay for 2 extra seats. Still a great deal - 600J total. I'm loving being car-free in Jamaica!

User Info Menu

Yup mi done dat too...
    Mi tried riding a bicycle from Sav to Negril mi bought at Bascho 20 years ago for $115us..
    ended up getting a route taxi van for half the leg that had dem bicycle holders on the front....
    Then rode the new bicycle from the Negril bus park part way up the West End and the derailer broke....
    Luckily a West End young kid was able to replace the derailer ....
    The bicycle after that worked fine for years .....
    Of course mi ex wife was upset that it took so long for mi to show up at our cottage on Summerset Lane....
    Learned mi lesson about buying bicycles at Boscho.....lol
    Mi current bicycle mi bought at Courts for $15,000J 8 years ago...
    And it's still going strong today with normal maintenance ..

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is the bike I rode Petersfield-Negril yesterday
    Name:  bike.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  2.50 MB
    Very cool bike - fixie bike that folds in half and can be put in bag. I also bought this about 20 years ago, in Boston, for about $600. Having a good reliable bike is important if it's your primary transportation. That bike has been all over the world since I got it. I'm enjoying using it to get around in Westmoreland - great way to get around. Maybe a little dangerous because of the road conditions and the way people drive here, but I decided to accept the risk and go ahead and use my preferred mode of transportation. As a matter of principle I am not letting the cars bully me off the road.

Thanks for the info that some of the route taxis have bike holders. I'll look for one of those next time. Last night what he did for me was fold down the rear seats (and I paid 600J which I think is 2x or 3x normal fare, to cover the extra seats).

User Info Menu

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sponsor

User Info Menu

It occurs to me that my relationship with that bike has lasted longer than any of my relationships with wives or girlfriends. (Not sure whether to put a or a after that sentence.)

Once it got stolen in Boston. Next day, the thief put an ad up on craigslist trying to sell the stolen bike. I answered his ad and met him (with the police standing by around the corner). I got my bike back and the thief got arrested.

User Info Menu

Love the recovery story of bicycle. I still have my white Peugeot I bought in Harvard Square in 75. Not here in Negril though. I bought a Blue Raleigh from Nutsy. Largest ladies bike I think they made. Lt wt solid frame, helmet, new seat, cable, lock and basket for 140 US and a couple of Red Stripes. Fitted it w 2 front headlights and 2 red tails for when I’m out too late. Nice ride from Skylark area to Negril gym, fish mkt. or town for groceries.
    Last edited by Boston; 01-08-2020 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    ... wish me luck!

I returned my rental so I am living car-free in Jamaica (and loving it!). Tomorrow I plan to bicycle from my home to Negril, a distance of about 35km. We'll see how it goes. If anyone is around and wants to meet up, drop me a PM. Assuming I make it, I'll be hanging out at Barry's hotel and at Footeprints (meeting a friend at each place).

Richard
    Car free. I can't imagine how much money you will save. And plenty of great taxis in the hood if you need one.