Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Negril needs attention

User Info Menu

Re: Negril needs attention

In our experience, most recently this reach and the previous one in October in particular, the hustling on the beach has reduced considerably both in amount and aggression. We walk the beach a lot, from Sun Beach north to the AIs and south to Sunnyside and in a cases when we have been approached, the usual, simple, "No, thank you" has sufficed.

We have noticed more of a police presence on the beach, especially this current reach. They are both walking and riding, both daytime and evening time. We were eating at Chances last night around 7 PM and the police mobile came tooling past.

I don't know what other folks are experiencing; but to us the 7 mile beach is the same vibe as it has been for a few years now.

Now about the sidewalk situation........

User Info Menu

I like the idea of more police on the beach. I realize people are trying to make a living but they really should stay off the beach. Just my opinion. Was in Miami last week and there were 0 vendors on the beach, just a beautiful view and lots of beautiful people. We plan on coming back to Negril in January 2021 and if higglers bother my wife we won't be back, no point going somewhere where she is not comfortable.

User Info Menu

If I was you I’d go somewhere else in 2021....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeboy1 View Post
    If I was you I’d go somewhere else in 2021....
    Great answer! Nothing like actually addressing the topic and hand and the legitimate concerns about tourists being harassed on the beach. It's exactly that kind of attitude which leads tourists to look elsewhere.

User Info Menu

My wife are thinking about a return trip with our children ages 9 and 6. I have been 8 times and my wife 5 so we consider ourselves Jamerican. However, this is the first trip with kids. Do the hustlers respect the fact your kids are present and lay off or do they not care? It won't really affect our decision either way as I'm used to the beach scene and culture. Nothing will stop me from walking the beach to get some pizza at Chances and jerk bamboo from the Kuyaba!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGong View Post
    Great answer! Nothing like actually addressing the topic and hand and the legitimate concerns about tourists being harassed on the beach. It's exactly that kind of attitude which leads tourists to look elsewhere.
    TG, maybe you need to reread your own post!
    You do realize the beach is public right? And the vendors are Jamaican citizens right? With more right to be there than us.
    Yes, A small fraction can occasionally be an issue but the vast majority are not and are a welcome part of my beach experience .....and are also “beautiful” people !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeboy1 View Post
    TG, maybe you need to reread your own post!
    You do realize the beach is public right? And the vendors are Jamaican citizens right? With more right to be there than us.
    Yes, A small fraction can occasionally be an issue but the vast majority are not and are a welcome part of my beach experience .....and are also “beautiful” people !
    The beach may be "public" but that doesn't give anyone the right to be a "vendor" there without the proper documentation and licensing. No one is questioning the Jamaican people's right to be there and enjoy the beach just like our right to do so.

If you go to a city like Kingston and see vendors setting up the entire width of the sidewalk and blocking rent paying, licensed to sell store owner's doorways and harassing patrons, you get a sense of what it is like when you don't enforce laws against illegal vending.

I like to buy pan chicken as much as the next person but there are health and safety concerns as well to consider. It is also true that most take safety and sanitary concerns seriously but when you open it up to any and all who want to cut an oil barrel in half to make a living then you also increase the risk.

Much of the reason that the beach has a vast majority of good "beautiful" people and not a majority of the ones that can occasionally be an issue is that there are laws that are enforced. Stop enforcing the laws then you will see a public beach become a free-for-all.

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I totally agree we were there early January , amount of higglers on the beach are way fewer than 10-15 years ago, ide say kudos to negril, I'll be back next year for real,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    BoyMackie if you were in Negril 10 years ago I think you experienced one of the high water marks for hustlers. You wouldn't recognize the place! It is way, way, way more mellow than it was 20, 15, or 10 years ago. In every way. Is it sad that some people still need to hustle tourists to make money? yes. Would it be better if all the locals in Negril had terrific jobs? yes.

My guess is that these "appalled" folks were visiting Negril for the first time. First trip outside of an AI maybe. In my opinion the hustling has been waning every year.

If you want disney world, go to disney world. If you want awesome chicken, hit up a drum on Normal Manley Boulevard. Just watch your a$$ when you cross the road.

User Info Menu

The bottom line is that Negril is not for everyone. We love it and see the hustlers on the beach as part of the show. Remember you want something different the what you experience in your day to day lives at home.

User Info Menu

We've brought our kids to Jamaica several times when they were between the ages of 2 to 17. For the most part, I think there is definitely a higher level of respect shown. Some individuals are still overly aggressive but most of the Jamaicans we have encountered really love kids and it shows in how they treat you as a family. "Family mon" was a phrase that my husband heard frequently and I would be called "mama". Plus, exposing your kids to another culture is a great learning experience for them.