Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Negril needs attention

User Info Menu

Re: Negril needs attention

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Technical answer...
    The licensed & legal vendors are required to wear a lanyard with their proper documentation.
    Hi Lisa. A quick question for you. I understand why a guy like Norman or a woman like Cortis would require a license to vend as they sell food which could be a health and safety issue but would a guy like Herman the musician require one as well?

Just wondering. Thanks.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

This is what happens when people are complaining instead of enjoying

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Hi Lisa. A quick question for you. I understand why a guy like Norman or a woman like Cortis would require a license to vend as they sell food which could be a health and safety issue but would a guy like Herman the musician require one as well?

Just wondering. Thanks.
    Yes, everyone who is making money, as in vending, is required to have a license...the government wants their cut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Yes, everyone who is making money, as in vending, is required to have a license...the government wants their cut.
    Well dang. Can we submit a list of our fav vendors/higglers/hustlers/friends and get an exemption for them?

I don't intend to speak for others, but I love the vendors, look forward to seeing the regulars, love messing with the other characters up and down the beach. The ones that are good at their job make it fun. I've seen a little attitude, but not much. There is no welfare in Jamaica, and that has created a tremendous work ethic that should be admired. Some are really good at getting me to pull a little money out of my pocket. For me, it's all part of the Negril cool vibe experience, and is part of what keeps me coming back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tenn DD View Post
    Well dang. Can we submit a list of our fav vendors/higglers/hustlers/friends and get an exemption for them?

I don't intend to speak for others, but I love the vendors, look forward to seeing the regulars, love messing with the other characters up and down the beach. The ones that are good at their job make it fun. I've seen a little attitude, but not much. There is no welfare in Jamaica, and that has created a tremendous work ethic that should be admired. Some are really good at getting me to pull a little money out of my pocket. For me, it's all part of the Negril cool vibe experience, and is part of what keeps me coming back.
    Another option? Take that list and have everyone contribute to a fund to buy them a license to make them legal going forward. No matter how long that list of "fav vendors/higglers/hustlers/friends" is now, it will grow astronomically fast until it will be twice the population in no time once it gets out someone is paying for it.

And.... it will also grow astronomically fast for exemptions until no one will have to pay for a license. Dang.

User Info Menu

For all of you people that don’t want vendors on the beach don’t go to Negril go to St.Kitts. We went there last June. It’s beautiful but simply BORING with absolutely no characteristic. All I hear is people don’t want foreigners coming to the US and changing our ways. But it’s now OK to go to Jamaica and change their culture . Wow. Is is safe to take kids. Well I can’t wait to take my granddaughter next yr. she will be 2 yrs old.

User Info Menu

I agree Miss Honey
    The vendors are all part of the local colour and part of the reason I have been going to Negril for over 30 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Honey View Post
    For all of you people that don’t want vendors on the beach don’t go to Negril go to St.Kitts. We went there last June. It’s beautiful but simply BORING with absolutely no characteristic. All I hear is people don’t want foreigners coming to the US and changing our ways. But it’s now OK to go to Jamaica and change their culture . Wow. Is is safe to take kids. Well I can’t wait to take my granddaughter next yr. she will be 2 yrs old.
    I don't see anywhere on here that people don't want vendors on the beach. That is hyperbole. We have to keep it in perspective that it is the Jamaicans who are passing these laws to restrict who doesn't sell and who does sell on the beach and this is not only meant for tourists but locals as well.

Locals don't want outsiders coming in and harassing tourists because that has a negative effect on their pocketbooks. Some here that have been going for decades to Jamaica remember a time when tourists rarely (if ever) were harassed or threatened in anyway. It has mainly become a worse problem with the proliferation of route taxis and robots that make it easy to live elsewhere and come to Negril to "work" the tourists. I believe the only reason that it hasn't gotten completely out of hand is that the locals "police" their numbers making it difficult for them to get a foothold. I further believe that if you open it up to anyone joining the beach scene to sell without some regulation, Negril will become a dangerous place to vacation as well as to live.

Although it is part of the Jamaican culture to become a higgler and colorfully sell and barter with locals as well as tourists, harassing and threatening is not. No one wants to change that culture. That is part of what makes Jamaica; Jamaica. As my departed best friend "Marshall" used to say, "Jamaicans can be very good but, when they are bad, they can be very bad".

Get the "good ones" licensed and regulated so a good standard is maintained going forward. If and when new people want to sell and higgle, make sure they get licensed and live up to that good standard. I don't think that is too much to ask and I think most locals would agree.

Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Accompong you are right. I started to respond this morning. This all just hit me wrong last night. I hate seeing hard working people put in the same category as the hustlers. They do need to get a consistent license program but one these folks can afford. They know who the hustlers are and they need to take care of that. I meant if you want a beach with no vendors you probably oughta go some where else. I sure hope they get this fixed. I hadn’t stayed on the beach since Jan 18. We actually had less interaction with hagglers this year.