Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Negril needs attention

User Info Menu

Negril needs attention

had no idea things were this bad...I haven't set foot in Negril in over 10 years
    How do you Negrilaholics feel about this?

Negril Needs Attention

Published:Friday | January 24, 2020 | 12:37 AM
    THE EDITOR, Madam:

I would like to join the many writers to this newspaper who have expressed concerns about the situation in Negril. I visited over the New Year holiday period and was appalled at the level of hustling and badgering of visitors on the beach by folks selling all kinds of items and services.

I believe the Ministry of Tourism will have to embark on a new anti-harassment campaign to re-sensitise the local residents against this harmful practice while at the same time create opportunities to provide meaningful employment for the local people who, quite frankly, are just trying to survive with their hustling.

The main Norman Manley Boulevard must also come in for some attention. It’s generally unkempt, with pan chicken drums everywhere and traffic islands in the middle of the roads, creating a real danger for motorists at nights.

Even the ‘Nuh Dutty Up Jamaica’ sign has been blown off its stand and lies on the ground a dutty up di place tuh.

Negril is a very special place. Just being there imbues you with a sense of peace. You can literally feel the weight come off your shoulders when you arrive. But we must care and protect this place for us and future generations.

WINSTON BARRETT

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...eeds-attention
    http://http://jamaica-gleaner.com/ar...eeds-attention
    Last edited by BoyMackie; 01-24-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong article

User Info Menu

Re: Negril needs attention

BoyMackie if you were in Negril 10 years ago I think you experienced one of the high water marks for hustlers. You wouldn't recognize the place! It is way, way, way more mellow than it was 20, 15, or 10 years ago. In every way. Is it sad that some people still need to hustle tourists to make money? yes. Would it be better if all the locals in Negril had terrific jobs? yes.

My guess is that these "appalled" folks were visiting Negril for the first time. First trip outside of an AI maybe. In my opinion the hustling has been waning every year.

If you want disney world, go to disney world. If you want awesome chicken, hit up a drum on Normal Manley Boulevard. Just watch your a$$ when you cross the road.

User Info Menu

I hit one of those frick'n Traffic Islands at night in front of Travellers on a motorcycle & crashed not being able to see the dam thing til the last second when a car is in front of you on my last visit in February '19...I go past there every single day to the beach all the way to Tree House..so I know they're there..but I rarely ever are down on the beach road at night since I stay in the Cliffs..that night I did to have dinner with a friend..it ended my vacation a week early due to my injuries...but I'm thankful since it could of been so much worst if I would have hit it dead on..I only glanced off it on the right side of the bottom of the bike..but enough to throw the bike to the left & down I went...those things did NOT slow down traffic they were supposed during the day time especially...they steal about 2 feet at least of road from the center out in each lane & there lies one of the problems..no lights above at night...no reflectors on poles in the island..they're extremely dangerous as after my incident many stories have been told of motorbikes...cars..trucks..busses having accidents with them..they ought to be jackhammered immediately & abolished STAT...just my 2 cents

User Info Menu

Agree with Kold .. much worse for us 10 - 15 years ago than it was the last few years we have been there ..
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

It has gotten better,but all it takes is one bad experience to ruin your stay. If it happens to a new visitor that's what they remember and tell others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CG1404 View Post
    It has gotten better,but all it takes is one bad experience to ruin your stay. If it happens to a new visitor that's what they remember and tell others.
    Yup! And some deal with it better than others.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeboy1 View Post
    Yup! And some deal with it better than others.....
    Lets not go victim-blaming, when the problem is the hustler and not his target. How that person feels or responds is not the issue - how they were approached and what caused it, is.

I'm not there as often as some of you - usually a week or two a year, so I'm not the "expert" many here seem to be. But in my opinion, it hasn't changed much. I think a lot of it comes down to the time of year you visit. In the offseason, especially towards the end, people who need money can get downright desperate. We typically come in April and/or September, and as far as I've noticed, the hassle seems worse in September, every year. Fewer people around makes it easier to become a target, and if you, for example, walk the beach from Travellers to the AI's, you'll be approached repeatedly, and many times it's not a quick "no thank you", but being followed/walked with, being asked all kinds of personal questions, being asked directly for money, and then the attitude when you give them nothing. I know what a bumb***** is, having been called it many times while walking the beach because I don't want more ganja / souvenirs / to buy them a drink / give them cash / that if I don't give I'm not showing "respect". LOL at that.

I keep telling myself to not get involved in these threads, because it's extremely frustrating when others come in here and say it doesn't happen, or it's not that bad, or blame the person it happened to, that they must have done something to cause it, or that they must be "snowflakes" who can't take a "little fun".

I still come back. And I still walk the beach. But my wife stays at the hotel, because it's just not worth the hassle to her. And then it's only one person walking the beach, spending money at bars and on food, and not two. And, I'd have a much better time if I didn't have to play "the game" the entire way, and have the same conversations over and over. How much money doesn't walk the beach, but instead stays at the hotel or at their AI? I would venture a guess and say it's a lot.

User Info Menu

Wasn’t insinuating that the tourist was to blame. And I do agree there are some vendors that don’t know when to quit and can be quite intimidating to some. However I’ve found the vast majority of vendors/weed sellers etc ply their trade and when politely declined move on. The character of the many trying to eek out a living shouldn’t be judged by the actions of a few.
    I also feel people need to be more polite in general. Countless times I’ve seen tourists pass by an inquiring vendor like they didn’t exist or cursed them and shooed them away like they were a stray dog. That’s not right either. Say something, at least acknowledge them, even if it’s just saying no thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeboy1 View Post
    Wasn’t insinuating that the tourist was to blame. And I do agree there are some vendors that don’t know when to quit and can be quite intimidating to some. However I’ve found the vast majority of vendors/weed sellers etc ply their trade and when politely declined move on. The character of the many trying to eek out a living shouldn’t be judged by the actions of a few.
    I also feel people need to be more polite in general. Countless times I’ve seen tourists pass by an inquiring vendor like they didn’t exist or cursed them and shooed them away like they were a stray dog. That’s not right either. Say something, at least acknowledge them, even if it’s just saying no thank you.
    I agree. Hostility begets hostility. True that some on both sides feel that a hostile approach gets results but usually not the result they are looking for.

Some people let small things bother them too much on a vacation.

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyMackie View Post
    had no idea things were this bad...I haven't set foot in Negril in over 10 years
    How do you Negrilaholics feel about this?

Negril Needs Attention

Published:Friday | January 24, 2020 | 12:37 AM
    THE EDITOR, Madam:

I would like to join the many writers to this newspaper who have expressed concerns about the situation in Negril. I visited over the New Year holiday period and was appalled at the level of hustling and badgering of visitors on the beach by folks selling all kinds of items and services.

I believe the Ministry of Tourism will have to embark on a new anti-harassment campaign to re-sensitise the local residents against this harmful practice while at the same time create opportunities to provide meaningful employment for the local people who, quite frankly, are just trying to survive with their hustling.

The main Norman Manley Boulevard must also come in for some attention. It’s generally unkempt, with pan chicken drums everywhere and traffic islands in the middle of the roads, creating a real danger for motorists at nights.

Even the ‘Nuh Dutty Up Jamaica’ sign has been blown off its stand and lies on the ground a dutty up di place tuh.

Negril is a very special place. Just being there imbues you with a sense of peace. You can literally feel the weight come off your shoulders when you arrive. But we must care and protect this place for us and future generations.

WINSTON BARRETT

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...eeds-attention
    http://http://jamaica-gleaner.com/ar...eeds-attention
    Mr. Winston Barrett, sorry the pan chicken drums “everywhere” offends you, but have you considered the operators of these chicken drums use this as a source of income? I know many people who like the food from these drums which are operated by hardworking people trying to make a living. Otherwise, the operators may wind up on the beach “hustling” for money.