Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To all concerned about beach vendors!

User Info Menu

Re: To all concerned about beach vendors!

Hey Rob, what about a petitiion of some sort? Bring it to the chamber with thousands of signatures?
    Last edited by Todd; 01-29-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

Is this a situation where it will take months or longer for the licenses to become available? If they ever become available? If so, what a shame for all of the beloved vendors that we all use....

User Info Menu

We will be in Negril the 10th. I told my wife about Norman and her response was : so where can we find Norman? Can he find a place like Tony’s that does not serve food to set up shop until this is resolved? I am sure many of us would go to him if we knew where.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Hey Rob, what about a petitiion of some sort? Bring it to the chamber with thousands of signatures?
    Todd,

Simply write the Chamber as a concerned tourist. Petitions, as in most countries rely on citizens of that country to implement change.

This is a complicated process. Norman and I a few years ago jumped through hoops trying to get the required license. We found there was no final hoop.

The Chamber is currently working on updating the old laws and your input, as a visitor, will be needed to accomplish the goal we all want.

Get your suggestions and information to the Chamber and they will be able to present to the government a proposal that benefits all.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

This makes me sick. We were down a few weeks ago. We were eating dinner at Vinnie’s and Norman and his family were walking down the street from Church I believe. Someone yelled out about if he had had a busy day. He replied back. They looked so happy. We will gladly write a letter.

User Info Menu

I was just at Negril Beach - 20 days/ December - January - I had no negative experience with the beach vendors. I bought many things that I needed (juices, fruits, foods) - which was more convenient to buy on this beach. Beach vendors are part of the landscape of Negril Beach. I was returning to Negril - after a long time away. It was wonderful to be back in Negril.

User Info Menu

I was told Norman sold a bunch of patties today on the beach at CCLP
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Sent letter, hope it helps, So sad not to have these vendors.

User Info Menu

Here's what I sent:

We have been coming to Negril annually for over 15 years. While we, like most tourists, find aggressive beggars and bracelet sellers unpleasant, we think that many of the regular beach vendors - the patty man, the ice cream man, the fruit lady, the cigarette man, the cake lady, the juice guys - add local color to the beach scene and give Negril a vibe that distinguishes it from competing beach vacation spots. We fully support the need to license and tax vendors, but at the same time we think it's important to maintain the traditions that keep many of us coming back to Negril year after year. Please help to amend laws and establish licensing processes as needed to make it possible for these vendors to continue to operate in a way beneficial to both Negril and to visitors.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 01-30-2020 at 08:28 AM.

User Info Menu

This is a sad situation. I really hope there is a way around it all. These vendors are part of the draw to Negril. I've been to other parts of the island and I certainly don't get the same great vibes as I do in Negril. I really hope to see these vendors on my next vacation, minus those that generated complaints for their negative sales techniques.