Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: T-Mobile service in Negril

User Info Menu

T-Mobile service in Negril

I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile because of International feature and unlimited data. Staying in a place in Negril without WiFi across from beach. I know data is only 2g instead of 4g but would like to hear how other T -mobile users experiences have been relying on data. (I know where to find WiFi spots when I need to)

User Info Menu

Re: T-Mobile service in Negril

Also switched for the same reason. Worked well but slow all over the island. Up in the Blue Mountains coverage was bad, but everywhere else it was reasonable.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

I have T-Mobile and stay across the street from the beach with no wifi as well. Except for being slow I have no complaints. I believe the only extra charges are $.20 a minute for calls. My bill was only $14.00 more than usual for the month I was in Negril.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

You should be OK with your T-Mobile phone.

I have T-Mobile on my US cellphone (an iPhone). Generally it works in Jamaica, but I did experience some issues with the data roaming at first. After spending a long time on the phone with T-Mobile support (in chilly Maine - they were jealous!) I finally found a person there who was knowledgeable enough to help me. T-Mobile partners with Digicel to provide the roaming. The other phone network in Jamaica is Flow, and T-Mobile does not partner with them. There is a place in the iPhone settings where you can specify which network to connect to when roaming, and mine was set to "Automatic", and the iPhone was sometimes picking Flow which did not work. I manually switched that to Digicel and then it worked. You may not have this issue, but mentioning in case you do. The speed is adequate for most purposes though not adequate if I want to hotspot my computer to that phone and try to work over the internet.

Since I moved to Jamaica, I also got a Jamaican (Digicel) phone. That phone was promptly stolen in Kingston , but I have replaced it. I'm actually back in the US for now, and my Digicel phone continues to work in the US since I paid Digicel for roaming. Which is kind of cool since my Jamaican friends can still reach me on my 876 number. I will return to Jamaica soon I hope...