Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: ~~ Sweetness Onsite Trip Report – Part Three ~~

User Info Menu

~~ Sweetness Onsite Trip Report – Part Three ~~

This is a long one. Internet was off so gotta catch up with you guys…..ramblings and goings on lol.

Day four and need to get my toes in the sand. I get dropped at BarBBarn and immediately feel at home. Gave Pinkie a hug in her store and as I sat on the most comfy bar stools in Negril – I had to smile ….. first Karl Ricketts the artist walked by…..I have a few of his pieces but I wouldn’t say I know him well – maybe three conversations total but each time we see each other, we put our hand on our heart and smile at each other….thats all – simple and to the point lol. Then from the other direction comes Isha who makes great knitted/crochetd items……I am amazed that in 5 minutes I feel like I am just hangin in the neighborhood. Glass bottom boat man makes me two black coral braclets (bends them and heats them to stay “C” shaped … super cool.) I order a BLT which was delicious. I get a call from Ari the wedding planner and she is around and gonna stop by. She looks radiant as usual – her eyes so full of light……we head down to see Miss Laurel at Whistling Bird. Never been there and my goodness….it is such a beautiful property. Me and Laurel grab a drink (Rum and Pineapple for me) and we bob in the sea and talk and laugh and drink …… and then a group of gyals wade by us and its Debbie from Moonlight Villas say Hi Sweetness…..too funny….I told her I will come ck her because I brought some dog collars/leashes for her spay/neuter puppy program. The afternoon rain came but no matter already wet and it feels so nice. Visit a likkle more and then Ari say she can take me back to Westender cuz she wants to ck the wood cabins for a friend. I was so pleased to have her come out and see my place. It was a wonderful day. Leftovers tonight …….

Attachment 5809
    Attachment 5810
    Attachment 5811
    Attachment 5812
    Attachment 5813
    Attachment 5814
    Attachment 5815

Next day Laid by the sea on soft lounger after straightening up the place - did I mention how nice The Westender Inn is? Lots of places to chill. For dinner – Mexican Food – chicken enchiladas (brought the tortillas, cilantro and green salsa from home); guacamole (so creamy w/JA avocado), pica del gallo, lime/cilantro rice, pickled jalapenos, chips and fresh orange/limeade. Got surprised look and a “10” lol.

Attachment 5821
    Attachment 5816
    Attachment 5817
    Attachment 5818
    Attachment 5819
    Attachment 5820
    Attachment 5822

Attachment 5824
    Attachment 5825
    Attachment 5826
    Attachment 5827
    Attachment 5828
    Attachment 5829
    Attachment 5823

Day Five just stayed around the yard and of course cooked in the afternoon. I made the BEST pot of pumpkin soup EVER. Browned then boiled some chicken with thyme and scallion to make a stock. Deboned the chicken. Sauteed onion, garlic, carrot and celery in butter and dumped in stock. Boiled Pumpkin and Irish then smashed them with butter and curry. Put diced chocho in the stock/veg until soft and dumped in the “mash” – it was DE-VINE……..and some left for next day. I got a “12” on the soup. Sauteed some veg and put with pasta and a bit of melty cheese so just a “this and that” meal I call it. Oh and brought some Bisquick pkgs so made up some biscuits crispy bottoms and light as air. Gonna have Southern (left over) biscuits and white gravy (pkt mix) for breakfast……

Day Six off to town today – first to Valumaster for just a few things (colander, soft bread, etc.) then walk down to Hammonds Bakery, gonna try one of their patties first time. They are just the same to me as Juci Patties but were definitely fresh and piping hot and delicious. Ckd about 7 mile upstairs - No Roti yet….still wanna try that there.

To make a story short - bought some tennis shoes on Wed in town for $2500J – The store man wanted WAYYYY to much for all the shoes but I finally found a pair - all the other shoes he wanted $6000J (oy). Now I “know” best shoe deals in Sav but it was a “blow out” emergency. So after day one the shoes were full of cracks and day two the whole bottom fall off. Oh jeeeez. So back today to deal with the shoe man. Jamaica nah easy sometimes……of course no money back but he gave me what “he” thought was equal (shirt, 3 pair socks and 2 bandanas) but I still left with a frown and shaking my head. But life is good…..I got back to Hammonds Bakery – my morning “hang out place” where the kind ladies were watching my grocery bags for me, I sit out front and meet many characters young and old. Big Foot man came by and it always break my heart when I see him….he beg some money and I gave him $200J and few Advil and told him take one when he gets pain. Nice guy sitting talking with me (his name….FACE…lol) and a youth comes up just coming from the dentist where his tooth pulled so I deal out some more Advil and he is so grateful as he has not slept in three days from the pain and in his words “could not bear a fourth so had it have it OUT”. A driva stop to get a pattie and I ask if he would take me to Travelers where I was meeting someone and even though he was a Sheffield Route taxi, he agreed and was nice when I gave him a whole handful of coins (lol). Oh the beach is so breathtaking…..these photos can only hint at what it is in person. Hurry everyone to Jamaica!!!!!!!

Travelers is my next “hang out spot”. So I chill and watch the day go by again. I go into my typical “trance” staring at the water. [~~I love in Jamaica how everyone speaks to each other…..Hello, Good Day, Alright, Bless – each one looks you in the eye and acknowledges your human presence.~~] I buy some CDs from beach vendor (Culture, Old School, Dennis Brown) for $300J and order a salad and Diet Pepsi with ice. Oh man this is the life…….. Soon handsome Mr. CD comes back with a love note for me (lol) and a hopeful look in his eye. Awwww it has his numba and say One Perfect Love, Blessup. Made me smile / gonna keep that note  ….. and so it goes. The Patty Man went by and others selling things or making the beach walk. If you just sit down and relax everything you need will come by.

Attachment 5830
    Attachment 5831
    Attachment 5832
    Attachment 5833
    Attachment 5834
    Attachment 5835
    Attachment 5836
    Attachment 5837
    Name:  141.JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  52.6 KB
    Name:  148.JPG
Views: 1300
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  150.JPG
Views: 1252
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  152.JPG
Views: 1245
Size:  94.6 KB
    Name:  154.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  48.9 KB
    Name:  155.JPG
Views: 1350
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  156.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  54.6 KB

I had connected with an interesting woman thru the Board to help an elderly woman with some medication needs. So I have been waiting to meet this kind person who I am drawn to. Well it was a special meeting. Ms. Sharon Parris Chambers is a long time community leader in Negril, JA business woman, teacher/pupil of life and has written a book of poetry and spiritual teachings (Rose of Sharon: Divine Thoughts and Inspirations for Living Well) that will be coming out in a couple weeks and will be available on Amazon and other places. May it bloom and flourish like a ROSE. She read a few poems to me and we got to know each other. She told me that Miss Gloria’s son Kevin was coming over to meet me. [Some of you may know Kevin and Miss Gloria from Mariners/NBCC where she worked a long time and he still does]. Kevin told me about the Reggae half marathon = really nice young man. Sharon knew everyone at Travelers. They have the brick program (N.E.E.T) as well as a computer training facility onsite that is changing lives. I got to meet two of the owner sons both began with Win----. Handsome sharp young businessmen. So we three go to Negril Yoga Centre to meet Miss Gloria and she is a “gem”. Elegant, sweet woman. I loved her from the moment I saw her. She beamed telling us some life stories. She is originally from Panama. She liked my long blonde hair and said she had a woman from Netherlands take care of her when she was young that had hair like mine. I wanted to sit with her on that bench under the hibiscus for hours but the visit ended too soon. Oh what a great day……still smiling on the way back out West End……..to be continued.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

OK so I went overboard with photos I guess....my post did not capture them all. So I will "reply" with them and see if that works better.

Attachment 5809
    Attachment 5810
    Attachment 5811
    Attachment 5812
    Attachment 5813
    Attachment 5814
    Attachment 5815
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

OK maybe not. Alrity then. Darn .... took a lot of time to load. I will get the posted bit by bit. Bless
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

hmm, loving your reports Sweetness....can smell, feel, and see Negril....my turn soon come!! Havin a bit of an issue seeing your pics tho...they are not in the tread, attached as a link which seems to not open...not sure if it is onlme?? Keep the reports coming tho....looking forward to more!!
    T

User Info Menu

Thanks Sweetness for giving us an update. Sounds like your having a wonderful time and enjoying every minute of it.

User Info Menu

my pleasure (really) - I love reading others posts and how they manuver Jamaica.
    See separate posts for the photos that go with this part. Bless
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Wonderful report and pictures Sweetness! Love reading many of your glorious adventures and am yearning for some of that pumpkin soup with chocho. Look forward to meeting you at the meetup at Seastar. Soon come!

User Info Menu

Ummm I want to come for one of your "this and that" meals....

I'm super jealous, pics are awesome.... looking forward to much more.
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying all of your reports from Negril so far! The pictures are beautiful!
    Please keep them coming, makes me feel like I'm not so far away from Jamaica and every update has been bringing a smile to my face!
    Thanks for sharing this with us
    Carpe Diem