Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Question Rob

User Info Menu

Question Rob

Is dengue still around? Just wondering.
    Irie Sue

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Question Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Is dengue still around? Just wondering.
    Just as other mosquito borne diseases such as West Nile (Continental US) and Yellow Fever (Africa and South America), it is will never be 100% eliminated. It is reported that in January there were 103 recorded cases island wide. The eradication programs seem to be working.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. I said the same thing to my son and daughter-in-law because they are worried.. I will soon be back and would love to see you and Lisa.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Thanks Rob. I said the same thing to my son and daughter-in-law because they are worried.. I will soon be back and would love to see you and Lisa.
    If you are staying on the beach or cliffs I would not worry too much about mosquitoes. The breeze near the sea seems constant enough to keep the skeeters away. If you are staying or visiting the bush I'd use an insect repellent with DEET.

My mosquito antenna is always up ever since I caught dengue a few years ago outside the US; it was not in Jamaica. Since then I have been slightly psychotic about mosquitoes since a second infection can cause a more serious reaction. I have never noticed any of the aedes aegypti skeeters near the sea in Jamaica.

People say that beer and bananas attract mosquitoes. I love both and mosquitoes love me so there may be some truth behind the tale.