Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Single female traveller in 40s

User Info Menu

Single female traveller in 40s

I have travelled to Jamaica many times to someone or with friends. However this time is different because I am coming alone for 2 weeks and not to anyone. A little nervous about this but found a nice airBnB near the HILO. Looking for tips from any other solo travelers.

User Info Menu

Re: Single female traveller in 40s

First, use the same precautions you use when you are home.
    Dont walk the streets alone at night.
    Dont flash jewelry and money.
    Do not tell anyone you are there alone.
    Do not tell anyone where you are staying, and how long you are staying.
    Don't give out your number (unless you wanna) just know they will bug the hell outta ya! Lol!
    Use red plate taxis negotiate pricing BEFORE riding. Same with tours negotiate price beforehand.
    Dont let folks walking the beach put a bracelet on your wrist its hell giving it back if you don't want it..
    If you are offered some things your not interested in a polite but Firm "No Thanks" usually works.
    Other then that Enjoy!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

Also, and this has happened to us a few times, if you feel threatened walk up to any vacationing party and ask to join them as you are in an uncomfortable situation. When it has happened to my wife and I we gladly offer to help and have met some great ladies that we end up hanging out with. Never feel that you are alone.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Hello...Very valid points, thank you for your advice!! I am very familiar with the town of Negril, i have travelled there about 20x but always with company or to someone- this time is solely alone and looking to meet new people- i do know enough people there for company but still not sure on how I feel to go to a party or a bar etc alone. The beach i have no problem with. Just want to step out of my comfort zone and enjoy a trip for once MY way!!
    That is if my flight is not cancelled in June

User Info Menu

I love travelling alone and have done that for about 20 years. I can do and go what and where I want. That includes the beach at night. Just do what was mentioned before and take your common sense with you.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Always be going home the next day when ever you are ask how long you stay! They think you are broke?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by georgelenard View Post
    Always be going home the next day when ever you are ask how long you stay! They think you are broke?
    So what happens the day after that when they see you on the beach....they will remember you and they will call you on your lie. Count on it. (One of my first trips told a weed seller I don’t smoke, to get rid of him, he caught me in my lie the next day...)
    Don’t divulge personal info, but don’t lie to their face either....Respect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shetrytea View Post
    i do know enough people there for company but still not sure on how I feel to go to a party or a bar etc alone. Just want to step out of my comfort zone and enjoy a trip for once MY way!!
    I think if you know enough people there for company you won't need to worry about going to a party or a bar etc alone. Once you are "known", you already have a profile on file.

That is why I sometimes go to new places so I can escape being "known".

Have a great trip!
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Very true- Negril is a small place and does not take long for anyone to know when you are back on the island. I may enjoy doing a solo trip for once out of my many trips. I just am hoping I do not feel awkward to go into a party or the bar alone, restaurants etc. But if i want to enjoy my trip, meet new people its time to step out of my comfort zone!!!