Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: advice on what to tell customs on your bag contents

User Info Menu

advice on what to tell customs on your bag contents

Hey! I have a few friends that shipped things to me to carry for them -- (you cant purchase from amazon and ship to JA). So I have a PS3, some clothes and shoes. Shall I state that I have these items? They are not gifts nor did I pay for them. Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Try the truth...

I understand that friends are telling you that you can help them save money, especially by skipping the import duties. But really, why would you want to be a smuggler? This is not like carrying Bibles to countries that suppress religion, or medical supplies that aren't otherwise available, it's just about a few dollars.

User Info Menu

Doing a friend a favor of a few shirts, shoes and maybe A PS3 any of which could be yours, I see no need to claim them IF they could be yours, if you have a size 5 foot and are bring size 12 shoes well that's another problem, but unless you have more lugage than you trip would customeraly carry then by all means claim it. No one here would tell you to flagerently lie.

User Info Menu

I always have one suitcase full of donations, usually school stuff and a few clothes (which I take the tags off)... no gifts. I tell the truth but have not tried to bring in a PS3. I would think that a certain amount $ wise is fine to bring into the country but of course the government has to make their own money so that is why duty is charged when bring goods in.
    I do remember a previous thread about duty on goods and I believe it was mentioned that it can be quite high. I wouldn't lie though, getting caught is not worth the hassle, imo. I believe the immigration form has a section on the back to list the items that are not yours that you are bring into the country (and leaving behind) and this is where I always list my donations.
    You can always try to claim that you are bringing it down for your own use but if you don't have any games with you, it will be hard to convince customs that it is yours to use while on vacation and that you will be bringing it back home with you.
    Even though you did not pay for them or you don't see them as gifts, customs may very well just see them as gifts as you are giving them to someone else, even though it is a favour for a friend.

User Info Menu

I would obey the law and list any items that are not yours or cannot be used by you. I take all tags off of my items and claim any that I am bringing for others on the form and give a low estimate of cost. For the PS3 you might want to bring something that shows the cost otherwise they will assess their own amount of what they "think" you paid in US. they are going to ask you anyway if you have anything for others so I agree honesty is best but nah easy explaining its for a some guy friends. If you have receipts for their purchases that would be great to provide. I hear the duty is high for high price items but your friends should reimburse you for this amount if you are doing them a favor. Just my opinion. (See my recent trip report Part 1 for my experience when I arrived).
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

In my years of bringing things in for charity, I found that it didn't matter what you paid for an item - receipt or no receipt. I brought in a generic projector bulb that was about a third the cost of a name brand bulb. Didn't matter - the value in their "book" on a projector bulb is all that mattered. That is how they assessed the duty - not on my receipt. So be ready for a big hit on the PS if you choose to declare.

User Info Menu

Tell the truth; it's easier to remember the truth than it is to remember lies, making your story more consistent and believable. Something I learned at a young age. IRIE! *IG
    β€œIt is better to travel well than to arrive.” – Buddha

User Info Menu

How about being honest and telling the truth??????