Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bold Move - What does everyone think?

User Info Menu

Question Bold Move - What does everyone think?

The Jamaican Government has announced some interesting moves to help reduce the spread of Covid-19 and to help keep our older population healthy...

• Anyone over 75 years old will be required to remain quarantined for 14 days...except to facilitate travel for essential reasons.
    • Public Sector workers over 65 years old will be required to work from home for the next 14 days.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates..._?profile=1228

User Info Menu

Re: Bold Move - What does everyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    The Jamaican Government has announced some interesting moves to help reduce the spread of Covid-19 and to help keep our older population healthy...

• Anyone over 75 years old will be required to remain quarantined for 14 days...except to facilitate travel for essential reasons.
    • Public Sector workers over 65 years old will be required to work from home for the next 14 days.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates..._?profile=1228
    I don't think it will be nearly enough to concentrate on the oldest among us to solve this problem. Although they are the overwhelming part of the population that would most probably die from it, the 40 - 65 are the age group that is most infected. Allowing people to think that the below 65 age group can go on as usual will curb the infection rate. At best, it might slow the rate at which people are dying but not the spread of the disease in general.

My opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    I don't think it will be nearly enough to concentrate on the oldest among us to solve this problem. Although they are the overwhelming part of the population that would most probably die from it, the 40 - 65 are the age group that is most infected. Allowing people to think that the below 65 age group can go on as usual will curb the infection rate. At best, it might slow the rate at which people are dying but not the spread of the disease in general.

My opinion.

I think that might be the idea. Protect the most vulnerable and let the general population get natural immunity to the virus through slow spread. Trying to stop the spread doesn't seem to be working anywhere.... the numbers just keep rising worldwide...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

My opinion.
    Some observations (opinions...) Don't do what Italy did. Don't do what Spain did. The UK ignored what is happening in Italy, lookout Loretta.

Around the globe plenty of people in the 40 to 65 year old age range are requiring weeks of intensive care with respirators to beat this virus. Hospitalization is required in more than 10% of the cases. Huge strain on the system. In Italy 8% of the healthcare workers are infected, and young healthcare workers are dying. A herd immunity policy will fail miserably - too many in the herd will die slowly or recover slowly destroying the healthcare system.

Wuhan went 'draconian' and they appear to have it on the run. China kept people locked down until they tested negative. With closed borders Jamaica has a chance at slowing the spread if they can keep people from spreading the virus for a few weeks. Social-distancing in Italy is starting to have an effect, after 2+ weeks.

Be safe people!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Some observations (opinions...) Don't do what Italy did. Don't do what Spain did. The UK ignored what is happening in Italy, lookout Loretta.

Around the globe plenty of people in the 40 to 65 year old age range are requiring weeks of intensive care with respirators to beat this virus. Hospitalization is required in more than 10% of the cases. Huge strain on the system. In Italy 8% of the healthcare workers are infected, and young healthcare workers are dying. A herd immunity policy will fail miserably - too many in the herd will die slowly or recover slowly destroying the healthcare system.

Wuhan went 'draconian' and they appear to have it on the run. China kept people locked down until they tested negative. With closed borders Jamaica has a chance at slowing the spread if they can keep people from spreading the virus for a few weeks. Social-distancing in Italy is starting to have an effect, after 2+ weeks.

Be safe people!
    In Negril social distancing is rather easy, bars closed and restaurants are take out.

The banks are letting in only so many in at one time which isn't really an issue because nobody has anything to deposit anyway.

So far there has been no confirmed large scale local spreading, but that will no doubt change. If we can keep the pace slow by the protective measures in place, we have a fighting chance.

Our real problem is that tourism won't pick up until our visitor's countries get it under control and that doesn't look to be happening anytime soon....

User Info Menu

Because there are not enough tests to test everyone, it is impossible to say how widespread the virus really is, how it is transmitted, and how deadly it really is. Therefore, the only rational way to limit the spread is to apply social distancing principles to EVERYONE worldwide. I personally hate some of the ridiculous practices that are being implemented here in my home area in the US (one grocery chain is spraying incoming customers with hand sanitizer) but it is what it is. I don't think only isolating/quarantining older people will work well enough.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    ...I don't think only isolating/quarantining older people will work well enough.
    Neither does the Jamaican government. The article explains the other steps being taken and why they feel that quarantining the elderly population makes the most sense with the current plans in place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Neither does the Jamaican government. The article explains the other steps being taken and why they feel that quarantining the elderly population makes the most sense with the current plans in place.
    I see and understand the point but.... In densely population centers like Kingston, MoBay, Ochi, etc., the success overall will depend on the compliance by the people in "social distancing". Kind of the same thing as here in the US. Population centers like NYC can and have gotten out of control and in less densely populated areas like Nebraska etc. it is only a minor problem at this time. My worry is that people will leave the problem areas and go to less problem areas to escape, (NYC to Nebraska etc) and (in Jamaica) Kingston to Negril etc.

For everyone's sake, I hope all the mitigation plans work for everyone.

Stay Safe.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

There is no data yet supporting immunity after infection. In fact there are cases of reinfection.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

I see and understand the point but.... In densely population centers like Kingston, MoBay, Ochi, etc., the success overall will depend on the compliance by the people in "social distancing". Kind of the same thing as here in the US. Population centers like NYC can and have gotten out of control and in less densely populated areas like Nebraska etc. it is only a minor problem at this time. My worry is that people will leave the problem areas and go to less problem areas to escape, (NYC to Nebraska etc) and (in Jamaica) Kingston to Negril etc.

For everyone's sake, I hope all the mitigation plans work for everyone.

Stay Safe.
    The US govt is 'asking' people who travel from NY to other parts of the country to SELF-quarantine. OK then. Maybe they should 'force' people to not travel....like the Chinese did, and Italy got around to doing after much damage was done.

We have local cases that have been tracked back to several high school band trips to NYC at the beginning of the month. Three weeks later they are popping onto the radar screen. Some other local cases were people that were on cruise ships. A few more cases are people who traveled domestically to 'outbreak areas'. IMO the sooner everyone is forced to lock down for 2+ weeks the sooner we all get over this. Closing high density social settings will only do so much, people need to self-isolate.

I Pray that Jamaica can keep a lid on this monster.