Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negril...Belmont...?

User Info Menu

Negril...Belmont...?

Hello, I posted this on the South Coast forum but got no response...

Can anyone tell me some juicy details about Belmont?

I am staying there in January for at least a couple of days...

Eats, bars, beach, ATMs, any suggestions, etc.

I know it's laid back...and small...and I def. want to get off the grid.

I am just seeking some info on the place and there isn't much on the Net!

tx

User Info Menu

Peter Tosh Mausoleum is in Belmont

User Info Menu

Belmont is mi favorite area in all of Jamaica.........truly unique and beautiful..........
    and no you won't find out much about it on the internet..........
    and imagine a lot of travelers would like to keep it that way........
    and it is very quiet and relaxing there........
    good place to take a break from the Negril Wildness sometimes......
    lookie forward to your report........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

We've been through a few times and stopped a couple. Bluefields beach park is down the road. Ice Lawn Sports Bar is on the main road in Belmont. They have 2 pool tables. Nice spot. They also rent out rooms upstairs that were nice and clean. Basic rooms were $50 a night. We ate at Ice Lawn too. Just walked across the street, bought some fish and the owner cooked them for us. Lots of little stands on the side of the road, beachside, to buy fresh foods from. We went to Tosh's tomb and met his mother. It was a neat experiance. I'm not sure what else there is to do but just wander around, meet people and relax. Let us know how it goes.

User Info Menu

Hey Brasi:

Other things to do (either by driving yourself or by route taxi):

Spend at least part of a day at Bluefield’s Beach . This is a public beach and is a favourite of Jamaican’s from all over the island. Great little shops for food, drinks, etc., bathroom facilities, etc.

Check out the Culloden Café (Culloden is between Belmont and Whitehouse) – great food (including great reviews on trip advisor). They also have a few rooms they rent out.

While in Culloden, check out Natania’s Guest House (not far from the Culloden Café) – the owner, Veronica Probst, is a longtime friend of mine (a very attractive single Jamaican lady who was born and raised in Culloden who also lived in the USA for a number of years). Tell her hello from Donna in Vancouver. Whenever she is in Negril, she stays with the same Jamaican family that I stay with on the beach.

Do go into Whitehouse – check out the fisherman’s beach there (a lot of commercial fishermen live in Whitehouse).

If you are driving (car or scooter), drive carefully – when in that area last winter, the roads were full of nasty postholes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BCBud View Post
    Hey Brasi:

Other things to do (either by driving yourself or by route taxi):

Spend at least part of a day at Bluefield’s Beach . This is a public beach and is a favourite of Jamaican’s from all over the island. Great little shops for food, drinks, etc., bathroom facilities, etc.

Check out the Culloden Café (Culloden is between Belmont and Whitehouse) – great food (including great reviews on trip advisor). They also have a few rooms they rent out.

If you are driving (car or scooter), drive carefully – when in that area last winter, the roads were full of nasty postholes.
    Is the same owner of Culloden Cafe that was opened in Treasure Beach a few years bacK? I remember reading about it on tb.net.

And great advice for on the roads. The main road in Belmont that follows the sea is VERY busy. LOTS of big trucks were going past when we were there. The big trucks that carry the cane. We had to be very careful just crossing the street.

*edit* Isn't there a small fee now to get into Bluefields? I think it's $200-400j? I think you can still go to the beach but to get to the shops, restaurants and bathrooms, you had to pay. It was all closed up when we were there (Sunday) but I was told by 2 people that some J'cans were upset that they had to now pay to get in.

Oh and I just remembered...there is a bridge near Blufields. On the backside of the park, mountainside, you sould cross it when getting there, and you can park beside the bridge and there is a river and waterfall that is free and public. You will see people parked and swimming.
    Last edited by jeannieb; 11-21-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added a question

User Info Menu

Belmont Sands is a great place to eat, 400 Ja per plate, and on the seaside in Bluefields Square, there's a great
    bar, Octagonal in shape, he jerks chicken as well, a real nice vibe. Great part of the island to visit for a day or two

User Info Menu

Name:  DSCN0173.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  55.3 KBName:  DSCN0175.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  76.9 KB
    I cant remember the name of this place, but its owned by the Wallace Family right in that area.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

I love this board, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the info!

One more question: are there ATMs accessible? I am essentially taking a "2/3 day vacation within my Negril vacation" and can bring cash, or use CC's...but...just wonder what you all would do in this case?

Thanks.
    Last edited by brasi; 11-22-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added question

User Info Menu

BC BUD........Hi There, Is Natania's guest house still open? I stayed there many years ago, what a beautiful place!!