Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reach Out!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Reach Out!

Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Reach Out!

i do remember a pay phone down by the yacht club. stayed busy back in the day. where is the phone in the picture Rob ?

User Info Menu

Spanky...the phone (what's left of it) is located at Sun Beach.

User Info Menu

Spanky that's all BS!! Rob and Lisa were nowhere near Negril when the Pay phone was at the Yacht Club. They're newcomers not oldtimers. Ask them questions about the good days of the late 60's an 70's they're clueless!!!! They are clueless about the happenings of Negril!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Johng,

I have used the pay phone that was in front of the Yacht Club. It took those TOJ (Telecommunication Of Jamaica) hard plastic cards...

That was before they became Cable & Wireless, Lime and now Flow...

In fact, I needed to set up a TOJ cellphone connection to Miami in the mid 80's to get online. That was over a decade before the Internet came to Jamaica.

The early years were fun, but a little too much on the "rustic" side. I like Negril better with clean tap water, sewage and reliable electricity.

Those Elephant Cesspool trucks were vile. For those that don't know, they were sewage system before the sewage system existed. Without them, the sewage flowed directly into the sea. Not exactly good for the environment as well as a hazard to health.

Refrigeration didn't really catch on until JPS (electric company) finally stopped blowing up anything plugged in an outlet.

Yes, I like Negril better with water and electricity...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Johng,

I have used the pay phone that was in front of the Yacht Club. It took those TOJ (Telecommunication Of Jamaica) hard plastic cards...

That was before they became Cable & Wireless, Lime and now Flow...
    I used it as well. In fact, I still have one of the old hard, plastic cards I carry as a souvenir when I travel. Also, sometimes it is not always who is the first to arrive at a party. Sometimes it is just a fact there wouldn't even be a party if some people had never arrived at all.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I remember using the phone christmas eve 1979 . waited in line for a half hour then the operator said all lines out of country were busy went back in to yacht club and kept partying. my first trip stayed at tigress. been back 30 times or more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Spanky that's all BS!! Rob and Lisa were nowhere near Negril when the Pay phone was at the Yacht Club. They're newcomers not oldtimers. Ask them questions about the good days of the late 60's an 70's they're clueless!!!! They are clueless about the happenings of Negril!!
    What an unfortunate message you've written, JohnG.

If you reread the thread, you'll see neither Rob nor I mention the Yacht Club phone and Original Spanky did not ask if we've seen it.

And, JohnG...most importantly...I could not have been here in the '60s and '70s unless my Mommy and Daddy carried me on their backs or in their arms...I defintely know they wouldn't have let me fly on my own as a youngster!!

Happy Easter Everyone and Please stay safe & healthy!

User Info Menu

John G.
    There is a old saying
    If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    There is no place for that on this Forum!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    WOW! Where did that come from. Some buddy has been isolating too long or maybe needs a cup of coffee (or a Red Stripe). We are all in this together and we need to concentrate on more important things, like "when the hell can we come back to Negril". Insulting the people that are trying so hard to up lift us just a bit in not cool. Rather than all the negativity, concentrate on all the little people we have met over the years and keep those people in our thoughts and prayers. I am a beach person and the people I'm thinking about right now are.....the one legged singer with his crutch walking down the beach. Or how about the old rasta painter that hangs out at Sun Beach. What about the fruit lady with the basket on her head, or even Jenny the basket lady.

Help me out people. Who are you thinking about from Negril, the little people that are being hit the hardest while we finish up with the Easter leftovers? WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!