Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Best place to be "stuck" barnone

User Info Menu

Best place to be "stuck" barnone

Family came March 7th expecting a quickie visit we are all still here. What a blessing to be able to eat out of garden have everything in the yard with exceptions of staples here & there. Jamaica has done an amazing job with the measures they took with closing down things when they did. I feel they should be congratulated! Our only issue is the 2 teenagers & school work finding a place to have them complete there necessary wotk. Also it's been a huge problem with trying to file for any reemployment due to the website or could be because have been trying to access sites out of country. If anyone has any suggestions as most all business are closed except grocery, banks so they are lagging behind in there studies. Jamaicans are taking this very serious even the beaches are closed and curfew in effect. Walked from far westend to town for excercise and it really is a site to be seen no people. It is blessing in disguise in someways as families get to spend together however, people are really suffering finacially as we all know they rely heavily on tourism. If anyone has a link to a place or teacher where the kids could go spend a hour or two couple days a week would appreciate. I am sure alot of people who left when advised are wishing they stayed. To all be safe and loveanother and if you have dear ones here send your love thru me If I see them I surley will pass it on. Much love to all.❤

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Best place to be "stuck" barnone

Quote Originally Posted by Loveanother View Post
    Family came March 7th expecting a quickie visit we are all still here. What a blessing to be able to eat out of garden have everything in the yard with exceptions of staples here & there. Jamaica has done an amazing job with the measures they took with closing down things when they did. I feel they should be congratulated! Our only issue is the 2 teenagers & school work finding a place to have them complete there necessary wotk. Also it's been a huge problem with trying to file for any reemployment due to the website or could be because have been trying to access sites out of country. If anyone has any suggestions as most all business are closed except grocery, banks so they are lagging behind in there studies. Jamaicans are taking this very serious even the beaches are closed and curfew in effect. Walked from far westend to town for excercise and it really is a site to be seen no people. It is blessing in disguise in someways as families get to spend together however, people are really suffering finacially as we all know they rely heavily on tourism. If anyone has a link to a place or teacher where the kids could go spend a hour or two couple days a week would appreciate. I am sure alot of people who left when advised are wishing they stayed. To all be safe and loveanother and if you have dear ones here send your love thru me If I see them I surley will pass it on. Much love to all.❤
    Negril is certainly different. With all the "entertainment" (bars, clubs, etc.) closed by order and most small businesses closed by choice, walking the West End is a new experience.

The beach was only closed on the Easter Weekend and with nearly every hotel not being open makes for another unique walking experience.

We know several teachers, but virtually no one is allowing strangers in their house at this time which is the correct thing to do.

We helped as many visitors as we could to find new flights when theirs were canceled and they were happy to be returning home. For those with scheduled flights after the flights were grounded, many had to seek new lodging when their hotels shut down. We directed them to the remaining open hotels.

With that in mind, the only option I can think of for you to find Internet access would be to try one of the two hotels that we know have been open. The closest for you would be Seastar Inn. I am not sure how or if they are charging for access, but buying something there may get you access for the kids.

As for your reemployment websites, there is a strong chance that being in a foreign country is blocking the access. You will need to download a VPN that makes your device seem to be in your home country.

Of the few dozen visitors who are still "stranded" here, they worked out their Internet issues early on and have stayed in touch with their family and friends. I remember you asking about getting a new SIM card sometime last year, if you have a smartphone, buy credit and get a plan with lots of data. Turn on your hotspot on the phone and you should be ready to go. Your kids can connect to your phone just as they would any other WiFi.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

This is based on the Canadian ( Ontario ) curriculum, but you may find something useful.

https://lah.elearningontario.ca/

Stay safe.

User Info Menu

love another, hope you end up seeing this as a good experience . you and the family will have a great story to share. where are you staying? are the grocery stores open?

Administrator

User Info Menu

In most of Jamaica as of this morning, other than bars and "entertainment" venues, most businesses that want to be open are open. Restaurants including BK are take out only so they don't have to bother with the 10 person maximum and social distancing issues.

Supermarkets, markets, hardware stores, pharmacies, fast food, patty shops, pizza places, meat shops, etc. are all open. Construction is still taking place and a few hotels are still operating for the remaining guests. Digicel and Flow stores are open. The government has been trying to strike a balance between keeping people safe and not destroying the economy. If people can't eat and starve to death, a pandemic becomes a moot point.

St. Catherine is under lockdown, everything closed except for certain days for certain hours and that looks to be extended today with possible implications for the island. The call centre infections account for about half of all the cases, and it centers around St. Catherine parish.

Stay tuned for the latest facts as we get it.

User Info Menu

Rob,

With our trip supposing to start on June 6, when would you say should be our "drop dead" date to reschedule? We were thinking about May 20th.. Your opinion would be appreciated.
    [/url]

Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 68Stang View Post
    Rob,

With our trip supposing to start on June 6, when would you say should be our "drop dead" date to reschedule? We were thinking about May 20th.. Your opinion would be appreciated.
    That is a month away... anything can happen.

As has been happening, the airline will probably determine that date for you. Keep checking that your flight still exists...

User Info Menu

I would rather be here then Florida as things are rapidly progressing. Flights out are few & we flew in spirit which has credited us just don't have a return date looks like mid May. Solved the internet issue by purchasing a wifi box although the speed is not that fast but at least with the continuing curfew starting again 4/23 6pm-6am for 14 days the kidos will have some access. Yes I was thinking seastar would be a good spot. Was catching at xtabi but I believe businesses are being fined 1-2 million jamaican if caught so as our administrator has provided most of the needed questions am most grateful feeling like a true yardie now loving this opportunity. I think we may ne the only tourists in town (sounds like a good movie. Give thanks & praise & loveanother.