Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP: This Statement Struck A Cord

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TiCtOc View Post

get one free get one free?
    Good one Tic...haha...I'm sorry but if anyone has to pay for #@&^% (especially in Negril)...you have problems I can't help you with. I mean: add up the Stripes, rum, fine Jamaican cigarettes, music, water, endless sand...

...and your pathetic a#$s can't find a woman/man who wants to hang out and have little fun without PAYING for it? LOL

There, I said it.

User Info Menu

Not just parties and clubs. Taxi drivers (mostly discreet, sometimes blatant) an even while buying from the market vendors

User Info Menu

I was taking a relaxing swim while there in Sept....just floating, looking at the sky...relaxed...when suddenly....da da...da da....da da...(theme from Jaws)...no, it wasnt a shark, it was a gigilo slowly making his way toward me in the wata. He kept a fairly straight line along the shore, about chest deep, keeping his eyes peeled for his next "victim". I knew I had been spotted since he made a pretty obvious change in course at this point. Since I was in a pretty good mood, all things considered, I thought I would just go with it for awhile and see what happened. Well, he spent a good 10 minutes doing his absolute bestest to win my heart...when he realized it wasnt working, I noticed his eyes start to wander further down the beach (still talking, but obviously knew this wasnt "the one"). He had spotted another lady entering the water and I got a pretty quick "lata" and off he went.
    So Marko, being in the wata isnt gonna save ya either.....lolol

On a more serious note, I have been annoyed on a few occassions, amused on others. I think it does depend what state of mind you happen to be in when approached. After a week straight of these proposals, it can begin grate on the nerves, your pleasant demeanor becomes not so pleasant after repeated "no thanks" over and over again.

User Info Menu

heck, i've even been propositioned by a skycap at the airport WHILE he was on the job carrying luggage..... LOL.

it's all about perspective, people. i've encountered some of this but i just laugh and say 'nope, no thanks, i'm already taken care of' *wink wink* and ppl back off every time. in 23 years it has never escalated into unpleasantness or what some call 'aggressiveness'. nobody has ever put something in my hand, slathered aloe on my skin, or tried to force their way into my bed. I don't perceive it as a bother or an intrusion, just part and parcel of the place. yah i could have some emotional reaction, or complain, or get annoyed - but why bother? that's how it is there and my little feelings about it aren't gonna change a thing. so i just roll with it, and have had some hilarious conversations with people, some of whom have become acquaintances over the years & greet me normally whenever they see me pass by.

User Info Menu

You will probably be happier staying on the cliffs, especially if you're bring your children again. I can relate with you there. If I had my kids with me, my reaction to some of them men on the beach might have been a little bit different. lol I went to JA with a friend, so the comments, propositions, marriage proposals, and pick up lines didn't bother me or offend. It was funny a lot of the time, and other times it was a little annoying (at the worst).

After a day on the beach, it was pretty nice to go back to our spot on the cliffs and get away from all that. Nobody not one time came at me like that on the west end, but I've only been that one time.

I remember your report and how shocked you were at some things that were said to you in the presense of your family. But ya'll loved it when you went to the cliffs right? I personally, loved the time I spent on 7 mile beach....but I'll be the first one to say....it's not for everyone. lol
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

taking my child with me has really been the foil to get the hustlers off of me
    if they start their conversation i say - respect - i'm with my child - and usually they back away
    now after many many trips - walking down the beach with my son is the best remedy
    he'll ask them - why are you looking at my mom - why are you talking to my mom - don't touch my mom
    he's the best security a girl could ask for - lol
    plus . . . after umpteen visits - the higglers have NEVER seen me with anyone - so they see me - and they don't think it's their lucky day

in fact one trip - a new guy was swirling and grinning in front of my beach chair
    one of the regulars shouted out to him "she don't mess with no beach boys"

User Info Menu

HELP: This Statement Struck A Cord

Ok, I thought I missed something on my last trip about what to expect. I admitted that even though I am Jamaica I was unprepared for the men in Negril and beach area. I have been reading the forums and not finding much to gauge if my next trip will be as bad as the last. So if this is a much avoided topic or just isolated case where the men were beyond intrusive, or beyond noraml sweet talk but a few set out to disrupt the course of one's vacation.

I am ASKING honestly what to expect, because the last time I was not ready for what was referred to as the beach boys/phenomena? I might still NOT be ready...lol! Well, countless trips to Jamaica even Westmoreland but my second to Negril/beach area.

Thanks and much appreciated.

Hi I have been following lots of threads recently on this board and I think 'all is definately what it seems' with regard to your query.

Are you giving a vibe that they feel they can take things to a different level? A very firm 'no thanks i'm good' is all that is required. Sometimes all it takes is common sense. Observing alot of tourists/foreigners in Jamaica I wonder if they would behave the same at home. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seveen View Post
    now after many many trips - walking down the beach with my son is the best remedy
    he'll ask them - why are you looking at my mom - why are you talking to my mom - don't touch my mom
    he's the best security a girl could ask for - lol
    plus . . . after umpteen visits - the higglers have NEVER seen me with anyone - so they see me - and they don't think it's their lucky day

in fact one trip - a new guy was swirling and grinning in front of my beach chair
    one of the regulars shouted out to him "she don't mess with no beach boys"
    Hahaha, Seveen that's too funny....I bet he get's a kick outta that
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

When I'm approached by a working girl usually a simple no thanks will work. I did have one who was much more persistent. She wanted me to know that she could show me things I'd never seen. Now, I've been in every port in the Pacific and most in the Atlantic and I doubt if she had insight I hadn't experienced. But that is not what I said to her.

Having lived in Ja for so many years I know that most of these hustlers do not come from families that raised them to be that.

Here's what I said to her. "I've been married to Miss Ginny for 35 years and I took a vow to be faithful and no matter what you offer I won't break that vow"

Her expression went from hard assed working girl to a real person.....her response was "I wish Jamaican men were so"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Good one Tic...haha...I'm sorry but if anyone has to pay for #@&^% (especially in Negril)...you have problems I can't help you with. I mean: add up the Stripes, rum, fine Jamaican cigarettes, music, water, endless sand...

...and your pathetic a#$s can't find a woman/man who wants to hang out and have little fun without PAYING for it? LOL

There, I said it.
    LOL Brasi, I was under the impression you were a saint!!