Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP: This Statement Struck A Cord

User Info Menu

HELP: This Statement Struck A Cord

Ok, I thought I missed something on my last trip about what to expect. I admitted that even though I am Jamaica I was unprepared for the men in Negril and beach area. I have been reading the forums and not finding much to gauge if my next trip will be as bad as the last. So if this is a much avoided topic or just isolated case where the men were beyond intrusive, or beyond noraml sweet talk but a few set out to disrupt the course of one's vacation.

I am ASKING honestly what to expect, because the last time I was not ready for what was referred to as the beach boys/phenomena? I might still NOT be ready...lol! Well, countless trips to Jamaica even Westmoreland but my second to Negril/beach area.

Thanks and much appreciated.
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED

User Info Menu

If you stay at one of the properties on the cliffs, there wouldn't be as much pressure. Even on the beach, Coco La Palm and others have good security and will not let locals on the property without reason.

Respect,
    Col. Andy

User Info Menu

WHAT statement struck a chord? there's no statement quoted in your post (?)

if you were there recently then you already know what to expect - it will very likely be the same as you've already experienced.

i don't think they are deliberately trying to "disrupt the course of one's vacation." i think all they care about is tryna sell what they got to whomever will take the bait, and they just care more about making that money than they do about considering whether or not they are being intrusive/disruptive. in fact i'd go so far as to say they couldn't give a rat's patoot who feels they are disruptive, they're gonna sell sell sell and who don't like it, they just don't care.

They know that statistically, the more ppl they approach, the higher the likeliehood that they will make a sale. So they approach as many people as they possibly can, cause they know that eventually someone will want what they got.... whatever that may be -

not sure what else there really is to know.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 11-21-2011 at 07:27 PM.

User Info Menu

You may not believe this but it's the same way for a man.

Since my return 18 months ago I can't count the propositions I've had...and I'm 70...
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Similar to what MissBlue said, I had a funny experience that really made total sense.....A guy approached me at a club and I had no interest in his lines he was trying to say to me, so I told him no thank you, I'm not interested. He then turned to my friend that was with me and used the same exact sorry pick up line. I laughed and asked him how could he use the same pick up line to my friend. His reply was: "it's like fishing, you use bait to catch a fish but every time you throw the line out, You might not catch a fish, so you throw it out again hoping to make a catch but you don't throw the bait away until you've made a catch" To me it summed it up completely.

It's supply and demand, you will be approached but a "no thank you", or "not interested" usually makes them move on their way. To some it really annoys them but I actually enjoy chatting with some of them.
    Last edited by Jamerican71; 11-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

most of this action happens on the beach and in the bars/clubs........
    so if you stay clear of these places.....the likelihood of this happening diminishes greatly......lol
    that is why mi spend so much time in da wata snorkeling and swimmy........lol

one of the things with Jamaican guys is that nuthin really bothers dem......nuthin
    you can be walking with your sweetheart and the guys think nuthin of chattin up your gurl right in front of you.........
    so it's not only the ladies have to be on der guard with the guys.........us guys do too!

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

in your best jamaican accent - tell them - i'm already "working" baybee - lol
    Last edited by Seveen; 11-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't buy *that*...it's free...

Now if I could only get the same deal on Red Stripe...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brasi View Post
    I don't buy *that*...it's free...

Now if I could only get the same deal on Red Stripe...

get one free get one free?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seveen View Post
    in your best jamaican accent - tell them - i'm already working baybee - lol