Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Manning's School in Sav La Mar

User Info Menu

Manning's School in Sav La Mar

Most everyone who went to high school in Westmoreland went to Mannings (including my daughter0

Yes it does say 1738

Name:  Mannings.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  56.1 KB
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Re: Manning's School in Sav La Mar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Very cool Cap, looked it up to learn more about it, very cool!

http://www.jnht.com/site_mannings_high_school.php
    Free Vybz Kartel

Administrator

User Info Menu

Mannings is an incredible school!

Here was our first fund raising page for Mannings on Negril.com back on August 23rd, 1997

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/nn230897.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Most everyone who went to high school in Westmoreland went to Mannings (including my daughter0

Yes it does say 1738

Name:  Mannings.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  56.1 KB
    Nice picture, David.

When I was writing the article for the Guardian many years back I came across an interesting story about the founding of the school. It seems that the land that Mannings left in Burnt Savanna for the school was constantly being raided by parties of Maroons during the Maroon Wars. The starting of the building of the school on its present site was chosen partly because of its proximity to the English Forces.

The year the school was completed was also the end of the Maroon Wars although the treaty wasn't signed until 1739. Here is a map from that time I came across. It is a little hard to read but might be of some interest to those who might wonder what Jamaica looked like at that time.
    Name:  082718-46-History-Slavery-Jamaica.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  446.0 KB
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Great thread and post. One of the reasons I keep traveling to JA is the culture, history, people, etc. Many years ago my wife wanted to go "somewhere different" so we went to Turks & Caicos. What a boring trip! No culture, used US dollars, other than conch the food was boring. Always felt bad and do feel bad posting something like this, makes me sound pretty snobby, but I was so unimpressed with TCI.
    Free Vybz Kartel