Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need your ideas and questions today for Reopening!

Administrator

User Info Menu

We need your ideas and questions today for Reopening!

The Negril Chamber of Commerce's monthly meeting is today and they are looking for ideas and questions that our visitors have about the reopening of Jamaica. This will more than likely be the last general meeting before our borders open, so please help us to help you come back and enjoy Jamaica!

Post your questions and ideas here and I will relay them this evening. Tomorrow I will report back!

The more input we get, the more we will be able to meet your expectations in our reopening!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: We need your ideas and questions today for Reopening!

I guess my questions would be pretty generic. The reopening plan, if there is going to be restrictions such as mandatory quarantine. I have a trip booked for the end of june that I have refused to give up on.. hope to see yall soon!

User Info Menu

been awhile since wi have done this....the last time none of mi suggestions came to be...…
    still no speed bumps/silent Policeman in Negril as promised

first off get Negril open right away without restrictions cause us tourist need our Jamaican friends to get der jobs back cause dem desperate for food etc and we need our Negril back for our vacations...….
    repair the roads and have regular maintenance as potholes don't cut it with tourist...…
    get rid of hustlers, scammers, idlers etc as they ripoff tourist as wi all know too well...….
    work on getting rid of that stupid noise abatement act so wi can have concerts and live venues again in Negril....
    keep dem Army guys out of view so the tourist don't get scared...…
    stop dem Army roadblocks....Negril looks like war zone when dem do that
    cleaner beaches and roadsides as it does get nasty with trash strewn all over the place....
    collect the trash more frequently in those roadside trash receptacles cause most times dem overflowing on the West End...
    stop the speeders on dem motorcycles.....sometimes dem going over a 80mph....put in speed bumps
    get rid of the white plate robot/gypsy/crooks that operate in Negril...….they ripoff tourist big time
    get rid of dem fishing men with dem huge nets that us snorkelers get tangle up in on the Cliffs...
    enforce the motorcycle/scooter helmet laws.....start stopping dem and check for papers too
    get rid of the money changer crooks in the ValueMaster and Golden Nugget parking lots.....
    have regular monthly Farmers Market the last Wednesday of every month at the Beach Park like in the past....
    need more motorcycle and bicycle police in Negril...….wi need double the police force that Negril has currently
    sidewalks are desperately needed and bicycle lanes on the West End.....
    open a park on the West End/Cliffs for people to go swimming and so they can relax and have a picnic
    fine places of business that don't keep their places up that can be seen from the roads or beach...ghetto look doesn't work with tourist
    police foot patrols at all times of the day...….especially after dark.....more visibility the better....yah mon
    mi will add more mi sure.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I guess my questions would be pretty generic. The reopening plan, if there is going to be restrictions such as mandatory quarantine. I have a trip booked for the end of june that I have refused to give up on.. hope to see yall soon!
    Ronnie,

Excellent question! I already have read that under the initial draft, there will be no mandatory quarantine, unless of course you are showing active symptoms of Covid. I will double check today at the meeting.

Thanks man!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    been awhile since wi have done this....the last time none of mi suggestions came to be...…

first off get Negril open right away without restrictions cause us tourist need our Jamaican friends to get der jobs back cause dem desperate for food etc and we need our Negril back for our vacations...….
    repair the roads and have regular maintenance as potholes don't cut it with tourist...…
    get rid of hustlers, scammers, idlers etc as they ripoff tourist as wi all know too well...….
    work on getting rid of that stupid noise abatement act so wi can have concerts and live venues again in Negril....
    cleaner beaches and roadsides as it does get nasty with trash strewn all over the place....
    collect the trash more frequently in those roadside trash receptacles cause most times dem overflowing on the West End...
    stop the speeders on dem motorcycles.....sometimes dem going over a 80mph....put in speed bumps
    get rid of the white plate robot/gypsy/crooks that operate in Negril...….they ripoff tourist big time
    get rid of dem fishing men with dem huge nets that us snorkelers get tangle up in on the Cliffs...
    enforce the motorcycle/scooter helmet laws.....start stopping dem and check for papers too
    get rid of the money changer crooks in the ValueMaster and Golden Nugget parking lots.....
    have regular monthly Farmers Market the last Wednesday of every month at the Beach Park like in the past....
    need more motorcycle and bicycle police in Negril...….wi need double the police force that Negril has currently
    open a park on the West End/Cliffs for people to go swimming and so they can relax and have a picnic
    fine places of business that don't keep their places up that can be seen from the roads or beach...ghetto look doesn't work with tourist
    police foot patrols at all times of the day...….especially after dark.....more visibility the better....yah mon

Cool Runnings, Marko

Marko,

The speed bumps idea was ditched a decade ago. You cannot put speed bumps on major road arteries. Emergency services would be critically effected and the constant up and down of heavily laden trucks (see Negril Today April 30 - https://negril.com/nt/nt043020.html ) would destroy the roadway.

I will present a few of the most Covid related suggestions from your list of ideas.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Rob,

I've not ruled out the possibility of coming this Summer, but am concerned about arriving to closed restaurants. I know the hotels are starting to reopen (and were never ordered closed), but we need to know how the restaurants will be staged open and when.

What are the plans for route taxis? I think there is a policy in place to promote a form of social distancing. Will that continue? Is it being enforced?

Also, this is not for Negril, but I am hoping that they allow for social distancing at Customs in Sangster.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Rob,

I've not ruled out the possibility of coming this Summer, but am concerned about arriving to closed restaurants. I know the hotels are starting to reopen (and were never ordered closed), but we need to know how the restaurants will be staged open and when.

What are the plans for route taxis? I think there is a policy in place to promote a form of social distancing. Will that continue? Is it being enforced?

Also, this is not for Negril, but I am hoping that they allow for social distancing at Customs in Sangster.
    I rarely see a sentence in all the proposals where the phrase "social distancing" is not mentioned. I have a feeling that we will all be seeing those little 6ft reminder circles nearly everywhere.

Restaurants seem to be a complex issue. Rockhouse has released what may read as over the top measures, but these are common place in Hong Kong now.

Route taxis will be limited to less passengers than their legal load as will charter vehicles. Estimates as much as half the legal number of passengers are being spoken of to promote, you guessed it, social distancing inside the vehicle. This will have a major impact on the 4 passenger livery vehicles.

I will bring up your concerns this afternoon!

Thanks man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

Cool Runnings, Marko
    I was assuming Rob meant Covid specific questions, but I agree with most of your suggestions, not all.

In my travels we have been to over a dozen countries, both Caribbean and in Europe. When I see "dem army guys" I don't feel scared, it makes my feel a little more secure if anything.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Rob, thank you for inviting us to share.

I'm assuming the the level of tourists returning to the island will be at a reduced level for the near term. Most people I'm in contact with aren't planning on traveling soon.

Group Tours and excursions will be difficult to manage with social distancing and may have to be deferred for the time being. I don't see snorkel trips to the reef with a boat full of people happening soon.

Do the Hotel Owners and the Chamber have access to sufficient supplies of masks, gloves and sanitizer to properly maintain a safe environment?

The economic need is obvious, but the overwhelming concern is to prevent a second closing of the border.
    Will the hotels, restaurants, bars and tour operators be able to make a living if the number of tourists is below a certain level?
    How many seats are booked on incoming flights for the month of June?

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.

VVHT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman66 View Post
    I was assuming Rob meant Covid specific questions, but I agree with most of your suggestions, not all.

In my travels we have been to over a dozen countries, both Caribbean and in Europe. When I see "dem army guys" I don't feel scared, it makes my feel a little more secure if anything.
    Sandman,

Yes, I was asking about Covid related issues.