Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tourists to be tested on arrival?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Tourists to be tested on arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Honey View Post
    The swab is 10 seconds.
    The swab part may take seconds, but to move and collect data as well as swab for 150 people through socially distanced lines safely at the airport in Kingston took 3 hours...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Few questions and comments -

Any knowledge on what company manufactured these tests, and in what country? What is the acting agent? How invasive is the test? People commenting on having nose-bleeds following the swab - yikes!
    Where I reside you can even get tested unless you have symptoms, so a COVID-19 passport not an option for me.

Too much confusion and uncertainty regarding who, what, when, and how someone will be or will not be tested. Logistical nightmare!
    June 26 is around the corner. Hoping the Ja Gov makes a decision and sticks with it so I can make an educated decision regarding travel or no travel.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandytoes View Post
    Few questions and comments -

Any knowledge on what company manufactured these tests, and in what country? What is the acting agent? How invasive is the test? People commenting on having nose-bleeds following the swab - yikes!
    Where I reside you can even get tested unless you have symptoms, so a COVID-19 passport not an option for me.

Too much confusion and uncertainty regarding who, what, when, and how someone will be or will not be tested. Logistical nightmare!
    June 26 is around the corner. Hoping the Ja Gov makes a decision and sticks with it so I can make an educated decision regarding travel or no travel.
    The Roche Cobas 6800 is the testing unit made in Rotkreuz, Switzerland.

https://diagnostics.roche.com/global...00-system.html

I have not heard of any cases of nosebleeds here.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Hearing all of this makes me being patient to travel back to Negril a lot easier...

User Info Menu

The nasal swab is not a big deal - I've had it done 3 times in the last 6 weeks (all negative, long story) with only a moment's discomfort. Mine were all analyzed on a rapid screen where the samples had to be in the analyzer with 15 minutes. Each time I got the results within the hour, once it took 15 minutes.

I would think that everyone tested would be happy to know their status. I would guess that Jamaica would body temperature screen all incoming people and then viral test only those that are high (body temperature high!). This is indeed a nasty virus but masking, hand cleaning and social isolation seems to help limit the spread.

Appleton hand sanitizer available yet? Just need 70% ethanol and 30% aloe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    From the Observer:

"Minister of Health and Wellness Dr Christopher Tufton has announced that all tourists and Jamaicans arriving in the island after June 15 will be tested for COVID-19.

This is a reversal of the initial decision that was taken by the Government for tourists to only submit to voluntary testing.

Dr Tufton said testing will be done to understand and manage the risk profile of visitors."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates..._minister_says

The Gleaner desktop version is not commenting on the story yet, but a nearly identical story is on their mobile version.

Watching the press conference this evening, their seemed to be some confusion about the details and the logistics of the testing.

On page 112 of the 119 page Phase 1 manual, Appendix 1 is the Travel Declaration by Visitors. This is to measure a visitor's COVID risks. If the agent decides, the visitor would be given a test. It seems the press conference was meant to clarify this but may have just muddied the waters.

Let's wait for some time for the story to get described correctly - update tomorrow!
    Well one thing for sure. This is probably going to slow down the amount of vacationers in July and August . This should slow the spread . I also heard the test is only good for 3 days . I’m not sure on that. My hubs tests were 2 weeks apart here in Ohio. He said very uncomfortable burn for 10 seconds. No nose bleed. As of today anyone in Ohio can have a test.