Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Lobster population?

User Info Menu

Lobster population?

So how's the lobster population? I imagine conch and other sea critters are plentiful?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Lobster population?

The lobster are looking good, conch is out of season....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

The amount of starfish has been crazy, wonderful!!! I keep meaning to take a pic...

User Info Menu

While people were suffering the sea must have been rejoicing!!

User Info Menu

Looks like conch are banned until Mar 2021. Although I miss eating them, I'm glad Jamaica is taking their depletion seriously.

User Info Menu

Lobster season is closed April - June. Tourism wasn't heavily impacted until much of the high season was over, and I would question if lobster fishing was curtailed any, if at all prior to April 1.

If lobster fishing is curtailed now due to their being nearly no tourists, then yes - in the future there will be positive impacts on the marine ecosystem. If it only lasts a short while and tourism goes back to normal quickly (or they are still pulling out as many lobsters as they always did), then long term impacts to the marine ecosystem will be negligible.