Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What di ihave to expect from customs when fling into Mo Bay?

User Info Menu

Cool What di ihave to expect from customs when fling into Mo Bay?

I will be coming on the 14 Dec, leaving 12 Jan. It's been a while since I ahve been to Janmacia. Last time it was a week with 2 carry-ons. This time i am bring a guitar some tool and gifts for children, pens, pencils, soccer balls. What is the best way to declare, and are there problems when i leave.
    Thanks
    Muskie Mike

User Info Menu

It's totally straightforward, you'll be given a form on the plane to fill out. An image is at

http://www.jacustoms.gov.jm/docs/n_C5Update.pdf

The front is your immigration form, and the back is your customs form. You will keep the bottom part - it's marked "Departure Record" - for your return flight. You are specifically asked on the form whether you are bringing gifts (item 6 on the Customs side). You may be charged duty on what you are bringing - anything that will stay in Jamaica and not go home with you may be subject to duty. Sometimes you get charged, sometimes you don't; as long as you've made an honest declaration of entry, the agent's decision is binding (meaning they can't come back later and change their minds on duty if the agent said something was not dutiable).

I have never encountered a problem, or much in the way of questioning, on departure. Of course, when you get back to the US, you will be dealing with US Immigration and Customs regulations.

One weirdness is lighters - on departure from the US, you can have them in your pocket but NOT in checked baggage, on departure from Jamaica they will take them away from you.

A false declaration of entry is a good way to spoil your day (or more), in EITHER direction (I have personal knowledge of someone who thought he didn't have to write stuff down coming back into the US and had everything confiscated).

User Info Menu

thanks that helps, any info is good, my overseas travel was all before 911, and things seemed to have changed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    One weirdness is lighters - on departure from the US, you can have them in your pocket but NOT in checked baggage, on departure from Jamaica they will take them away from you.
    We take lighters away from people in UK as well

User Info Menu

I have another question, what about prescription drugs. I wll be bringing prescrition pain killers, do you declare that on the form??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I have another question, what about prescription drugs. I wll be bringing prescrition pain killers, do you declare that on the form??
    not if they are for you, and its your name on the box, my guys always check to see whats written on the box matches whats inside the box and if it does not a problem, its a Very good idea to take the drugs in the boxes they come in

User Info Menu

I also have letter from My Dr. explaining why I need them.

User Info Menu

I also have letter from My Dr. explaining why I need them.
    no problem you may get the tsa asking questions and maybe being a bit pigheaded but i don't think the JA customs are going to have an issue, there is no need to even mention it, Here in Uk when we see them in your carry on (and they SHOULD be in your carry on) we just do a quick check to make sure they are what they say they are and that is it,

User Info Menu

Thank you all so much, the way things are in the world the more information the better. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

I will be coming on the 14 Dec, leaving 12 Jan. It's been a while since I ahve been to Janmacia. Last time it was a week with 2 carry-ons. This time i am bring a guitar some tool and gifts for children, pens, pencils, soccer balls. What is the best way to declare, and are there problems when i leave.
    Thanks
    Muskie Mike
    Hey Muskie,

Don't be too concerned about most of the stuff you have listed above as "gifts". Spread them around in your bags to have them not clumped together and don't list them as gifts on the back of the Customs Form. It is simple enough to tell the Customs Officer that the guitar is yours, the tools are yours etc. etc. What they are looking for is big ticket items where they can collect their 40% Tax. Tell them the set of jacks is for your personal peace of mind and the tools are for when you find a few loose screws {which should be no problem for you}

Relax man. Bring your pain killers in the prescription bottles and remember to leave them with me

I will be there to pick you up and I will bring a spare straight jacket.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.