Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: More Confusion

User Info Menu

Unhappy More Confusion

So I am coming to Negril in August as of now I am not from a place considered a hotspot but I want to be prepared if I need to pre test . Let me tell u it isn’t easy at all to get a Covid test . Most of the places either don’t answer their phone or emails or care about my need for a test for travel let alone to find out if their lab is CAP approved which I see is now required . On top of that they are running out of tests and results are taking 10business days to 4 weeks so It will never work . I found an urgent care that does the rapid Covid testing Results in 20 minutes and I was so happy I knew I would be good that is till I saw the new update about the specific labs . So is there anyway u can find out if rapid testing will work or am going to be forced to cancel my trip because I will never be able to take a test get results within 10days how things are now

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: More Confusion

Since you are not from a current hotspot, this is more of an "non-issue " issue. You would need to find a CAP certified rapid test, from the 619 I am guessing that you are from California.

You probably have this link, but I will post it for those who may want to use it:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OSP.../COVID-19.aspx

Following the links you can find the testing centers.

Your trip is still a few weeks away and Jamaica's rules will no doubt change. The testing might change in California as Mulvaney has been quoted that the testing in the US is simply inexcusable.

Things are changing in such a rapid pace that all I can suggest is keep checking for testing centers and plan a test for 10 days before your trip. You might not even need it. Might not....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

"The testing might change in California as Mulvaney has been quoted that the testing in the US is simply inexcusable."

Of the 90 nations with population of over 10 Million people the USA ranks 4th (behind UK, Russia and Portugal) with the most tests per 1 million inhabitants at 131,693.
    Canada ranks 10th, with 86,287 tests per 1 million inhabitants.
    Regards,
    Bob

Administrator

User Info Menu

That in no way effects the length of time to receive your test results....

Which is kinda the problem....

Rjonsun, do you know of a way to get the results faster?

User Info Menu

"Hot spot" designation is touchy and subjective at best. Look at this breaking news on the "hot spot" of Florida. Some labs were only reporting positive tests. There were TWENTY TWO labs that reported 100% positive tests results. Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health’s positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report. OOPS

https://www.breitbart.com/health/202...id-19-numbers/

User Info Menu

From the Quest Diagnostics web site press release.
    "Despite that dramatic increase, demand for testing is increasing even faster. As a result, our average turnaround time* for reporting test results is slightly more than 1 day for our priority 1 patients.** However, our average turnaround time for all other populations is 7 or more days."
    Quest has locations in California.
    Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by rjonsun; 07-14-2020 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

rjonsun what in the heck does the tests per million inhabitants in Canada versus the US have to do with the price of eggs? If that's the case why don't you post the positive COVID cases per million as well as the deaths per million inhabitants of both countries? Be pretty interesting to compare those.

User Info Menu

I was simply responding to the California governors statement that "testing in the US is simply inexcusable". Cases and deaths are less per million people in Canada verses the US.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    Regards,
    Bob

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjonsun View Post
    From the Quest Diagnostics web site press release.
    "...** However, our average turnaround time for all other populations is 7 or more days..."
    Thus is the problem, the testing problems in the US are inexcusable if you plan on traveling. Seven or more days for results makes planning an incredibly stressful experience. That leaves a three day window at best.

User Info Menu

As of today, USA death rate (dead/positive cases) is 4.0%, Canada is 8.0%. I'll take Jamaica's 1.3% any day!
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

These numbers are people and tragedies so we need to keep that in mind too. Also that the numbers can be funny - in Illinois at least, if you die with COVID (as opposed to dying from COVID) you are counted as a COVID death.

Numbers of tests/capita can be confusing too. I was tested 3 times in 6 weeks with no COVID symptoms (all tests were negative) as I had to be tested prior to each unrelated-to-COVID medical procedure. So mine alone count for 3 of the tests. You could also be tested and have positive results more than once which would decrease the %'s listed above. Numbers games that I really hope are not being used for nefarious politricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    rjonsun what in the heck does the tests per million inhabitants in Canada versus the US have to do with the price of eggs? If that's the case why don't you post the positive COVID cases per million as well as the deaths per million inhabitants of both countries? Be pretty interesting to compare those.