Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: 16 new cases of Covid reported today....

Administrator

User Info Menu

16 new cases of Covid reported today....

and 14 of the cases were imported on flights from the US, the remaining two as coming from contact with imported cases. Please follow all the guidelines while you are here folks!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: 16 new cases of Covid reported today....

With thousands of test results due by the end of the month, if this trend continues it would not surprise me that everyone coming from the US will need pre-screening. We do not want a ban on US travelers like the Bahamas has done.

User Info Menu

Was it tourist or nationals coming home that were Covid positive? I read the article but it was hard to tell. Not that it matters I'm sure nobody wants to bring Covid to our favorite vacation place or their home.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Celinda,

From another thread I wrote:

They don't generally release that info. Medical test results, even Covid, are considered confidential. Here is the wording from the Observer:

"The new cases consist of 10 females and six males, ranging in age from two to 56 years. The cases were recorded in St Ann (two), Clarendon (one), St Catherine (three), Westmoreland (two), St James (four), Manchester (two), Portland (one) and Kingston and St Andrew (one).

Fourteen cases are imported, all of whom arrived on flights from the United States. Two have since repatriated. The two other new cases are contacts of imported cases."

At least two are visitors as they have already been repatriated. Which two? No way to know.

Most Jamaican nationals who were stranded in the States have been repatriated as well. Jamaicans coming to the island now generally live in the US or share time between the two countries. They come as visitors, not returnees.

The reason I am only mentioning the US is that up til now, the US has been the only country with tourist flights to Jamaica. From the Minister of Tourism:

"Right now, all of the visitors who come to Jamaica in this first phase are from the US. This week will be the first flight coming in from the UK. If we should put a ban on the US, the effect of it would be to shut down the industry.”

Administrator

User Info Menu

So far, 29 foreign (US) visitors have been sent back home with positive Covid results. There is a large backlog of tests with many of those visitors already back home before the results .

This is the true scare for the Jamaican people. How many of those backlog of some 10,000 tests will be positive?

For all of June, the number was about .0725%. We will need to wait to see what the current % is for positive results.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Please let's keep politics out of this. No one has the official guide on how to deal with Covid-19.

Thanks.