Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now, for more confusion....

Administrator

User Info Menu

And now, for more confusion....

From the Gleaner:

"Operators of small hotels and European plan (EP) properties in western Jamaica are feeling the pinch from the Government’s decision to cease COVID-19 testing of visitors at the airports, but instead have tourists undergo a quarantine at their hotels."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...e-small-hotels
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: And now, for more confusion....

From the Gleaner article:

" Bartlett admitted it was a concern, but told our news team that his ministry’s marketing campaign had been pushing messages to encourage visitors to adhere to the protocols. Further, he said, the risk was “mitigated by the strict adherence to the stay-in-zone order, so the tourists can only be on property”. "
    Clear as mud. This makes it sound like like the stay-in-zone order is actually a stay-on-property order.

User Info Menu

After leading the world in response to the virus. Jamaica is now trading increased infections for tourist dollars.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

So, why are excursions reopening? Guests are going to Ricks! Again, nothing makes any sense.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    After leading the world in response to the virus. Jamaica is now trading increased infections for tourist dollars.
    Being virus free is of little consequence when you cannot feed your family. You MIGHT get the virus but you WILL die of starvation...

This is a delicate balancing act. There is no government rent relief, you must pay JPS and the NWC. And then those pesky food bills...

The J$10,000 unemployed workers received lasted maybe a day or two. Some have been out of work for 4 months.

Everyone single Jamaican knew there would be an increase in the infection rate. Only those with the money to outlast the pandemic complained. 350,000 people need to work.

User Info Menu

25% of Jamaica's workforce is in travel and tourism. These people need to work to survive. They are not getting much assistance from the government. The borders have to remain open. We are going to have to learn how to live with Covid. Jamaica has to find protocol that will work for visitors and citizens alike and to clearly communicate the policy so that everyone understands what is expected. IMO WM

User Info Menu

All it’s going to take is one hospitality worker to be exposed to an asymptomatic tourist and then go to one of the now permitted parties and you’ll have another hot spot.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    All it’s going to take is one hospitality worker to be exposed to an asymptomatic tourist and then go to one of the now permitted parties and you’ll have another hot spot.
    And we handled a major hotspot at a call center, hundreds infected. The government has been managing those.

The contact tracing here has been very effective.

User Info Menu

So Rob, if nothing were to change when I come down in Nov, with what I read, I'd have to stay on the White Sands property for 14 days (I'm there for 17 days) but wouldn't be isolated to just my room but the whole property? Also, does this rule change if I bring down results of a negative covid test from the US (I'm in NY, so it seems that I'll need to take the test within 10 days before arriving)?

BTW, 2 weeks on WS property is still better than 2 weeks in Buffalo in early December.. lol. As long as I'm not just stuck in my room...
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 07-27-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

November is so far off that so many things will change by then, the rules (or confusion of rules) today will play no bearing on your trip....