Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Even more confusion!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

Even more confusion!

From the Observer:

"Santa Cruz, St Elizabeth — Easily among Jamaica's most popular nature-based attractions, YS Falls in northern St Elizabeth reopened to visitors last Tuesday, after a near four-month break triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...reopens_199410
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Even more confusion!

More from the Observer:

"The world renowned Dunn's River Falls and theme park in Ocho Rios, St Ann, has been recording an uptick in patronage since being reopened to the public on July 21, following a four-month closure due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...ince_reopening

User Info Menu

I'm sorry but the Jamaica Tourist Board and M.O.H. had best get on the same page and start communicating on what the h$ll is going on. The Minster of Tourism has dropped the ball once again and the only result will be the loss of millions in tourist revenue. My wife and I had a two week trip booked for August 5th to the 19th but cancelled because we didn't want to be isolated at our resort for 14 days. From this article it appears the resilient zone has been extended inland to encompass YS falls (Dunns River woulds be in the current resilient zone) but for what visitors. Would these be tourist that have isolated for 14 days already or tourists just disregarding the order. Somebody at the highest level of Government had best get on this before people start cancelling their high season stays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    I'm sorry but the Jamaica Tourist Board and M.O.H. had best get on the same page and start communicating on what the h$ll is going on. The Minster of Tourism has dropped the ball once again and the only result will be the loss of millions in tourist revenue. My wife and I had a two week trip booked for August 5th to the 19th but cancelled because we didn't want to be isolated at our resort for 14 days. From this article it appears the resilient zone has been extended inland to encompass YS falls (Dunns River woulds be in the current resilient zone) but for what visitors. Would these be tourist that have isolated for 14 days already or tourists just disregarding the order. Somebody at the highest level of Government had best get on this before people start cancelling their high season stays.
    Ironically enough I have been saying the same thing since they re-opened the airport. I have even passed on my personal opinion and viewpoint to tourist industry players trying to convey to them how tourists think and for them to implore the government to modify/clarify/publicize what the actual rules are.

However, it is my belief that the Jamaican government is well aware of the confusion and contradiction but are trying to have their cake and eat it too. In other words they want to appease their constituents by having what appear to be strict protocols in place while advertising to the paying tourist that all is well, come on down and have a good time. To clarify what I am referring to- visitors being screened etc etc and then going to their resort in the COVID Resilient Corridor does somewhat infer that you will be free to move around in the Resilient Corridor, NOT be limited to the physical boundaries of your resort.

I am sincerely concerned for the upcoming tourist season if they don't get this straightened out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    Ironically enough I have been saying the same thing since they re-opened the airport. I have even passed on my personal opinion and viewpoint to tourist industry players trying to convey to them how tourists think and for them to implore the government to modify/clarify/publicize what the actual rules are.

However, it is my belief that the Jamaican government is well aware of the confusion and contradiction but are trying to have their cake and eat it too. In other words they want to appease their constituents by having what appear to be strict protocols in place while advertising to the paying tourist that all is well, come on down and have a good time. To clarify what I am referring to- visitors being screened etc etc and then going to their resort in the COVID Resilient Corridor does somewhat infer that you will be free to move around in the Resilient Corridor, NOT be limited to the physical boundaries of your resort.

I am sincerely concerned for the upcoming tourist season if they don't get this straightened out.
    J. Jeff, I agree with everything you wrote. When no one in authority can / will make a concise statement as to where a tourist can or can’t go, I think most potential visitors will just stay home due to the lack of clarity. Probably all for the better in the very near term.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    ...it is my belief that the Jamaican government is well aware of the confusion and contradiction but are trying to have their cake and eat it too. In other words they want to appease their constituents by having what appear to be strict protocols in place while advertising to the paying tourist that all is well, come on down and have a good time....
    Jamaica Jeff,

That argument might hold water if the constituents actually thought that. Everyone I know (locals/constituents) just assume the tourists are out and about and welcome them as they always have. Tourists rent cars, restaurants and bars are open, as are attractions - and all these places are staffed by the constituents you mention....

We all know that the "strict" protocols are not being followed. But overall, the "stay in zone" order is being observed. The "stay on property" is being ignored and everyone knows it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Jamaica Jeff,

That argument might hold water if the constituents actually thought that. Everyone I know (locals/constituents) just assume the tourists are out and about and welcome them as they always have. Tourists rent cars, restaurants and bars are open, as are attractions - and all these places are staffed by the constituents you mention....

We all know that the "strict" protocols are not being followed. But overall, the "stay in zone" order is being observed. The "stay on property" is being ignored and everyone knows it...
    As it should be. I just hope people respect the local populace and mask up when out and about. If I were to go a Covid test would be my last check the box item before I left. On a another note, I was talking with my a driver buddy of mine yesterday and he is working, while his employees have chosen to sit it out due to Covid concerns. From what I'm hearing locals who benefit from the tourist industry are itching to get things rolling in this new norm, and hopefully with the right precautions Jamaica can continue to mitigate a huge outbreak while allowing some visitors to return.

User Info Menu

The "stay on property" is being ignored and everyone knows it...

No we don’t know that so that’s why we will have to cancel our trip

User Info Menu

What happens if you get caught off the resort? You have signed a legal doc upon entering the country.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    What happens if you get caught off the resort? You have signed a legal doc upon entering the country.
    The penalties are pretty severe... ending with deportation. I am not sure who is enforcing that rule though... as long as the business is following the social distancing and mask protocols, the police move right on by. They don't stop and question every person in every establishment.