Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you are wanting to come down...

Administrator

User Info Menu

If you are wanting to come down...

We all know that the borders are open because Jamaica needs to keep the economy going. The government would have never done that if it was not in every Jamaicans best interest. They are keeping the protocols flexible in order to keep everyone safe from Covid which is posing problems and issues for our visitors. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Because of the complete closure of the tourism industry in March, which accounts for approximately 20% of the foreign exchange and the declining remittances (16%), the foreign exchange being held by the Bank of Jamaica has dropped to the point that the Jamaican dollar is at its lowest value in history. With the current bank rate at J$150 to US$1, this is creating a desperate situation for the entire country.

Since Jamaica relies on imports, especially for oil and food stuffs, the price of everything is going up substantially. Things will only get worse unless we can increase our foreign exchange. Which is where you come in.

If you are wanting to come down, please do. Stay at the smaller resorts that are offering some great incentives right now. Feel free to tip in cash, while bringing down gifts are nice, everyone needs foreign currency at the moment much more than perfumes or shoes. That will be the only way to stop the slide of Jamaican dollar.

Unfortunately we're getting tourists here that are being quite demanding. A recent example was demanding discounts on everything, not tipping, even refusing to pay the service charges and taxes on the bills. With the local economy being what it is, please don't nickle and dime everything. If you can afford to come here now, we need your support, not to be taken advantage of at every opportunity.

So please, if you are wanting to come down, we are welcoming you! We need your support now more than ever.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: If you are wanting to come down...

You are so correct - stay in smaller resorts - and do not demand discounts - be as generous as possible. I was there last month and was very grateful that Negril was welcoming and gracious. I made sure that I tipped - in cash - all those who helped me have a wonderful vacation.

User Info Menu

I just got back August 12 as well and already rebooked to return 27Sep I cannot wait go back and support the Jamaican people we love so much !

User Info Menu

I'm on board with this. I'm happy to take shorter trips to hang out at a nice place for the time being. I'm due at Tensing Pen next week - I'll test whether I can stand it for 9 days lol. The tricky part is the timing of getting tested and getting results soon enough, then applying for travel authorization and getting approval soon enough - I'm waiting for test results and crossing my fingers.

User Info Menu

Well said Rob, we just sent money Western Union to our friends. Something to think about if you are not ready to travel yet. We are booked for late January my wife is still on the the fence but I am going no matter what. It has been a long year with no travel, but we are lucky at least we are still both working.

User Info Menu

Some of the hotels are offering great rates with flexible dates for future travel to generate enough cash to keep operating now so if you plan on going down later this year or next look into booking now. By booking now you will get a discount and also help the economy weather the current situation.

User Info Menu

Rob, what you say is so true and also makes me very sad. For years we have always booked a couple weeks in the August time frame at LTU Gardens (formerly Catcha Gardens). It's good for us because there are a lot fewer tourists around and we can spend more time with our friends who don't have much work then. But knowing that, we bring sufficient US cash to pay for our stay and help our friends during the slow time.

Over the years like so many others on this board we've come to have a caring bond with our "little Jamaican family". I'm in New Orleans and recently had surgery, making it doubly unsafe to make a trip my wife and I have routinely made since 1983. We keep in touch locally so I know what you say is true.

We can't go this year but if you can, please do. Take cash and be generous. Don't always try to nickel and dime your way into a "great deal". In normal times "haggling" is a part of Jamaican life. But keep in mind the Jamaican you're dealing with is not trying to take advantage of you. He or she is just trying to make a living and put food on the table.

Respect

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear about the rude guests. This is not a time I would try & barter with people. I always try & be as generous as possible with our Jamaican friends we have come to love but would be even more so now. It's hard to understand some people. Wish I was able to come right now just so I could support certain people who come to my mind! Be generous & be kind.

User Info Menu

I love haggling. I don't do it to be cheap, I do it as sort of a game. Ill haggle someone down with aggression, and they typically give them what they were originally asking for. I feel I won the game by getting them from i.e. $18 down to $10-$11, but give them the $18 so everyone is a winner. Providing of course I don't overpay.
    I don't have much respect for $ unfortunately, and this works well for those who treat me well.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob, great post. Can you point me in the direction of where to find the great deals the hotels are having? I appreciate the help. Stay safe and well everyone!