Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Border closing?

User Info Menu

Border closing?

With 90% of tourists coming from the U.S. and the out of control situation in the U.S. I just don't see any alternative but to close the borders to Americans, for now, as many other countries have done, in order to protect the Jamaican people.

Stay safe

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Border closing?

The PM disagrees with that analysis. He feels that Jamaica has to learn to live in this new Covid world.

He stated that yesterday in his press conference.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The PM disagrees with that analysis. He feels that Jamaica has to learn to live in this new Covid world.

He stated that yesterday in his press conference.
    I hope he is right

Administrator

User Info Menu

With the currency devaluation and the economic slowdown, Jamaica doesn't have many options...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Close the borders to ‘Americans’, really? The surge in cases stem from locals not adhering to protocols, flocking the beaches and rivers; not home quarantining. Total lack of personal responsibility.

As far as Americans ‘tainting’ the environment, the measures put in place prior to entry are strict, one can’t even enter without meeting certain criteria, so I highly doubt the number of rising cases has anything to do with American tourists.

I follow the news daily. If you look at the reported daily cases most report an address on the East end of the island; specifically the parishes under tighter curfews for non-compliance of protocols.

As the PM said, “those who don’t hear, will feel”.

Nuff said

User Info Menu

It is not just the Jamaicans living on the island that are spreading it. I flew down for Independence Day and the majority of those on the flight were fellow Jamaicans talking about visiting/staying with family and attending celebrations. Those are the ones that are bringing it onto the island and transferring it to those they mingle with then turn around and fly back out. The tourists seem to be taking it more seriously and are getting tested and staying on the resorts while trying not to spread it to the locals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    With 90% of tourists coming from the U.S. and the out of control situation in the U.S. I just don't see any alternative but to close the borders to Americans, for now, as many other countries have done, in order to protect the Jamaican people.

Stay safe
    Nice to have an opinion even if it is provocative but it is not our opinions that matter. It is the opinion of the Jamaican Government.

JMO
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Nice to have an opinion even if it is provocative but it is not our opinions that matter. It is the opinion of the Jamaican Government.

JMO
    Good call, and with an election scheduled next month Jamaicans will have the choice to choose how their government moves forward during this most difficult time.
    Free Vybz Kartel