Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Wood used in Jamaican Construction?

User Info Menu

Wood used in Jamaican Construction?

Hello All,

They say scents are deeply tied to your memory. One thing that always triggers a good Jamaica memory for me is the smell of the wood they use for their housing construction. I've smelled it at the cottages at Xtabi and throughout the hotel wings Beaches Resort so I think it's pretty common there. Does anybody know the name of the wood and seen it state-side? I live in Florida so the climate is somewhat similar. Looking to do a construction project and wanted to build a decorative side wall with this wood to bring me back to Negril.

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Re: Wood used in Jamaican Construction?

Pine is very common in house building - often imported into Jamaica.

Jamaica's own Blue Mahoe & cedar trees are used more as decorative woods and in furniture building....they both smell absolutely wonderful.

User Info Menu

Re: Wood used in Jamaican Construction?

Did a little reno project at The Point Village and I too like the feel and the smell of the wood used in Jamaica. After a little checking I found out the studs and ply came from Brazil.