Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Are the local beach establishments open?

User Info Menu

Are the local beach establishments open?

My wife and I spent a week at Swept Away in early July shortly after Jamaica opened the country back up to visitors. It was quite an eye opener for the impact the virus has had on our second home. Our diver, Patrick Clark who we have used for 25 years, said we were his first fare since March. Please remember him if you need a driver. The stark contrast in how Jamaica was being very careful with screening, testing and temperature taking versus what we see in the United State was an education in how different countries are handling this virus outbreak.

We always walk the beach when we stay, stopping in at local places to spend some money. This time there was virtually no business open, very few people on the beach and the vendors were much more aggressive, understandable given the economic realities, but a little scary. We usually walk to Alfred's and back daily but this time turned around less than a mile into our walk. It was the first time we felt like we should stay on CSA property as we never just stay on property as we so enjoy experiencing the country, people and all it has to offer. My question is how are the locals faring with reopening and has the traffic on the beach picked up. We are scheduled to return in November and would like Rob or any of the board posters to weigh in on their experiences since July. Many thanks,

Jack

User Info Menu

Re: Are the local beach establishments open?

thanks for the report . this type is very informative on what to expect

User Info Menu

Following this, as we do the same. Will be coming back to CSA in December. We also walk daily down to Rondel area or farther. We love the beach characters and look forward to them every year. In saying that, was curious also,if they might be more aggressive come this reach?
    Puerto Vallarta Jan 1999, Punta Cana 02, Ocho Rios 04, Cuba Breezes Jibacoa Jan 06, Mayan GORM Dec 06, Cozumel Grand Cozumel Jan 08, Mayan Akumal Beach Resort Jan 09, Negril Couples Negril Dec 09, Mayan ABR Oct 10/12/13/15, Negril CSA Dec 10/11/12/13/15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22

Administrator

User Info Menu

Things are slowly getting back to somewhat normal. I saw Norman carrying a smaller box of patties the other day.

Most bars are still closed as there is not much foot traffic. We are expecting a slight increase in October and more in November.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thank you Rob. I pray for the locals that visitor traffic increases. It broke our hearts in July seeing firsthand the devastation the closing of the country, right decision, had on those dependent on tourists.