Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Times To Book Travel

User Info Menu

Re: Tough Times To Book Travel

All airlines are stressed to the max. After years of pocketing huge profits, they have fallen on bad bad times, facing closure. The key for their survival is flight management, forecasting loads is a prime task. So, fewer flights, with last minute equipment changes are now normal, frustrating passengers. While weekday flights to MBJ are often cancelled, the weekend flights have been run with larger more efficient aircraft. (ie:B787-A330). This doe's not help with planning vacations but in these times nothing is normal. In the future you may see more cancellations and also see non stop flights turning into one or two stop flights. But hopefully next fall, returning to normal. There is hope!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    All airlines are stressed to the max. After years of pocketing huge profits, they have fallen on bad bad times, facing closure. The key for their survival is flight management, forecasting loads is a prime task. So, fewer flights, with last minute equipment changes are now normal, frustrating passengers. While weekday flights to MBJ are often cancelled, the weekend flights have been run with larger more efficient aircraft. (ie:B787-A330). This doe's not help with planning vacations but in these times nothing is normal. In the future you may see more cancellations and also see non stop flights turning into one or two stop flights. But hopefully next fall, returning to normal. There is hope!!
    All well and good, I understand that. Whats not well and good is keeping your money after they cancel you flight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    All well and good, I understand that. Whats not well and good is keeping your money after they cancel you flight.
    Agreed. Unfortunately if they are forced to refund all, they could probably claim bankruptcy, and we would see nothing. Not fair, especially after all the profit taking in the past....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately if they are forced to refund all, they could probably claim bankruptcy, and we would see nothing. Not fair, especially after all the profit taking in the past....
    They continued to sell flights all summer knowing there was a good chance they would have to cancel and keep your money. Who else could get away with that.

User Info Menu

If you use a PayPal Business Mastercard (free), your money will be refunded immediately, while the case is pending.

User Info Menu

United changed both our departure and return flights. On departure we are now going to Texas?!?. Then on the way back from Montego Bay they added a leg to the flight going into Washington DC on the way to Chicago. I don't quite understand how we got to Montego Bay since they changed our Montego flight to Texas? I called orbitz I was able to cancel the screwed up United flights for refund and I rebooked with American. Hopefully these flights fill up and we get to Jamaica! 32 days!

User Info Menu

We had our June trip this year canceled and have airline credit just sitting out there waiting to use it. It would have been nice to get the $ back, but we are looking at it as a positive that our flights should be mostly paid for when we can go next year. But we're sad. I'm also in Wisconsin and agree, with the way our state is handling this I feel obligated to stay put for now. We're hoping to book for June 2021. And I hate to say it, but I'm not even sure what that will look like or if it will be an option. I thought back in march that this would all be over in just a couple of months. I was hoping we would still get some of our summer to enjoy. Now I just don't know what to think. I hope you all get there for the dates you have planned and please share pictures with those of us who can't go right now.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    stonyplainclint, Keep checking their web site, flights Toronto to Mobay and you will see if they are continuing to cancel Fri flights. Hard decision.
    Further to West Jet (WJ) and cancellations, another good point would be to check the mobile app often. WJ seems to like to send notifications of an itinerary change when one flight lands 6 minutes later than on the itinerary but when it comes to cancelled flights they don't put that on the web, or even notify you via email. March the 21st when the world changed forever, we never got an email saying our flight out of MoBay was cancelled and in fact WJ was still selling fares back to Canada for March and April. Wife and I changed out April departure to March 22nd just because our esteemed leader JT told us to come home. The 22nd flight was listed and they took our money but March 21st our neighbour downstairs said all flights after midnight on the 21st were cancelled. I went back on the website and WJ was still selling tickets for March/April but when we checked the mobile app it said all flights were cancelled. This left us scrambling to get off the island. At 9AM we got a flight to Toronto for 1 PM same day.
    Check the mobile app often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Further to West Jet (WJ) and cancellations, another good point would be to check the mobile app often. WJ seems to like to send notifications of an itinerary change when one flight lands 6 minutes later than on the itinerary but when it comes to cancelled flights they don't put that on the web, or even notify you via email. March the 21st when the world changed forever, we never got an email saying our flight out of MoBay was cancelled and in fact WJ was still selling fares back to Canada for March and April. Wife and I changed out April departure to March 22nd just because our esteemed leader JT told us to come home. The 22nd flight was listed and they took our money but March 21st our neighbour downstairs said all flights after midnight on the 21st were cancelled. I went back on the website and WJ was still selling tickets for March/April but when we checked the mobile app it said all flights were cancelled. This left us scrambling to get off the island. At 9AM we got a flight to Toronto for 1 PM same day.
    Check the mobile app often.
    On their web site select flights Toronto to Mobay. Don't enter the departure date. Click on it and it will show available departures. Right now they are still selling weekday flights in Nov. Don't count on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stonyplainclint View Post
    Airswift, I don’t like hearing that about WJ. We are still holding out hope we can fly in December but as days go by we worry more about flights happening. We have about 30 days till we have to decide. As you know with Canadian Airlines. We only get credits not refunds which does suck in these crazy times. Fingers crossed we can see our Jamaican friends.
    WJ just cancelled weekday flights for Nov. into Dec. They were selling flights in Nov. up until Sat.