Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Government trying to make it easier

User Info Menu

Government trying to make it easier

July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Re: Government trying to make it easier

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    I wonder what will this insurance cost? It says it will be mandatory for tourist. I already bought trip insurance in case we need medical help. Been doing this since we hit 55.

User Info Menu

What does not make sense in the article below is that it says you will no longer be required to upload your COVID-19 test results to VisitJamaica but you still have to show it and the Travel Authorization at the airport, I thought the Travel Authorization was based on submitting a negative test result.

KINGSTON, Jamaica— Cabinet has approved several changes to streamlining Government's approach to the COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to travel.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced this afternoon that the following changes are to take effect on October 10:

1. The pretesting requirement for visitors from high-risk countries will be maintained. However, consistent with the local acceptance of antigen testing, the pretesting requirement will be modified to permit both PCR and antigen tests. Holness said this should make it easier for visitors – both tourists and from the diaspora – to meet the pretesting requirement as antigen tests are much more readily available and are faster and cheaper than PCR tests.

2. Applicants on the visitjamaica platform will no longer be required to upload their COVID-19 test certificates. They will however be required to present it and the usual travel authorisation at the airport when they check in for their flight.

3. Residents of Jamaica will continue to apply for their travel authorisation on the Jamcovid site and are not subject to the pretesting requirement.

Holness said the Government is in advanced discussions to implement a health services and logistics insurance plan that will be mandatory for visitors to Jamaica.

“We are targeting an effective date of November 1, 2020. This plan will provide for local medical care and air ambulance services where necessary for visitors who fall ill while in Jamaica,” Holness told the House of Representatives.

User Info Menu

My biggest question will be with respect to the antigen testing...Will they accept the point of care rapid antigen testing that is done in the clinic not a lab. The PCR test was required to be done at a CAP accredited lab.

We always buy health insurance too but, making it mandatory is a good thing given the circumstances.

User Info Menu

They lost me on how to get the authorization without downloading the test.