Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - October 30 - November 8, 2020 AKA "The Election Trip"

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report - October 30 - November 8, 2020 AKA "The Election Trip"

Full day #1. Up early as I love to walk the beach early in the morning. 615AM leave Rondel and head south towards the all-inclusives. Very lonely walk. I had the beach pretty much to myself until I got up to Footprints. Walked past Couples and Beaches and they were pretty much empty, I saw the staff at Beaches setting up for breakfast and they maybe had 10 tables prepared. I don't know if that was the only place you could eat breakfast or not, but there didn't appear to be many people staying there. A lot less people than in July and I thought it was dead then.

As I approached the Public Beach Park, things started to get ugly!!!!

When Tropical Storm Zeta came south of the island a couple of weeks ago it really put the motion in the ocean (or is it the weeeeee in the sea??). If any of you are regular watchers of the Earthcam installed at Ricks you could see the craziness that went on there. As for the beach, the storm appears to have really brought a lot of debris (mostly seagrass) onto the beach. No one has cleared the Beach Park yet, so this is what remains, and if you think it is nasty to look at, you should give it a good whiff!!

Name:  Seaweed.JPG
Views: 4572
Size:  1,018.6 KB

And there are places where the beach is really small, this tree which is located where Barry's used to be just before you get to Couples is usually 10-15 yards on the beach, as you can see the tree is in the water.

Name:  tree.JPG
Views: 4776
Size:  741.8 KB

Back from the walk, then Breakfast at Rondel and we locate in our normal spot right under the almond tree, and waste the afternoon away. I did take a couple hours off to watch Liverpool defeat West Ham on the televsion at the bar (took a swim at halftime, but Delroy yelled for me when the second half started so I didn't miss anything, thanks Delroy!!!), nothing better than that a lot of my favorite things all occurring at the same time in such a great place!!

Name:  shade.jpg
Views: 4308
Size:  716.7 KB

The highlight of the day was the Halloween party at LTU. We've never been here at Halloween time, but as soon as we were invited to the party we jumped at the chance. $2500JMD, but they credited your bar/food bill for $2000JMD, so really just $500 to get in (as if we weren't going to eat/drink $2000JMD worth!!!). Good mix of people, a limited crowd of only 30 people, a DJ playing tunes on a sound-system that sounded terrible (if you go to a party in Jamaica and the sound is great, leave, it's not going to be a good party HA!!!), great rum punch, good food, and some very interesting costumes (we did not dress up, but we were wearing a mask!! if that counts). We compared the whole evening to the bar scene from Star Wars. Really good time and because of curfew it was over by 8ish and we were able to get back to Rondel before 9pm

Oh yeah, and a totally awesome sunset!!!!

Name:  ltusunet.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  604.8 KB

Sitting at the Rondel bar having breakfast now, Tropical Storm Eta is supposed to give us some rain and clouds later today and tomorrow, so not sure what we will be getting into today. Probably not much of anything, just the way we like it.

User Info Menu

Enjoying the report. Really good info

User Info Menu

Monty, thanks for the trip report, it’s great!! Enjoy your spot under the almond tree!! It’s nice to know what to expect when we arrive on the 25th.

User Info Menu

Hi...what was the exchangE rate in Green Island. Thanks

User Info Menu

Thanks for the trip report. Keep the updates coming and have a great time!

User Info Menu

Monty & Melo,

Great stuff!!!
    More Please!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

I almost forgot how much I miss seeing trip reports and pictures!!! Thank you.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Amazing report so far, keep it up. Shocked at Barry’s tree. I knew CSA had a shallower beach but that is crazy. Was the water right up to treehouse then?

Hope you get more sun then rain the next couple of days.

Enjoy, soon come for us this Christmas.
    Puerto Vallarta Jan 1999, Punta Cana 02, Ocho Rios 04, Cuba Breezes Jibacoa Jan 06, Mayan GORM Dec 06, Cozumel Grand Cozumel Jan 08, Mayan Akumal Beach Resort Jan 09, Negril Couples Negril Dec 09, Mayan ABR Oct 10/12/13/15, Negril CSA Dec 10/11/12/13/15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22

User Info Menu

To answer a few questions, the exchange rate in Green Island was 135. The water was not up to the bar at Treehouse, it is strange that the beach is actually bigger in some places (but still smaller than it was) but smaller in others due to the storm. It is really small at Beaches as I had to walk almost into the bungalows where they were serving breakfast to avoid water on my walk the last few mornings. I would say the water is about 20 feet from Treehouse's bar. Tomorrow I will snap a few pics to show you what I mean.

Yesterday was a strange day, kinda cloudy and overcast due to hurricane Eta churning in the sea south of the island. Not sure it ever rained yesterday though, it did rain overnight last night and is cloudy again this morning. Which means today might be a pub crawl day, we'll see.

Pretty much did nothing yesterday except hang at the hotel under the tree or at the bar. Watched ManU and Arsenal duke it out on the pitch and got to see most of the Tottenham game too. Love the halftime swims during the games.

Sunset was kind of "meh" with all the clouds around, but still beats the hell out of being at home

Name:  sundaysunset.jpg
Views: 4652
Size:  1.88 MB

After sunset we decided to do a bonfire on the beach. Pretty cool.

Name:  bonfire.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  2.64 MB

Since no one else was on duty, I decided to take up the post as lifeguard. Glad no one was swimming

Name:  Lifeguard.jpg
Views: 4417
Size:  2.27 MB

After the bonfire we walked down to the Italian cafe. Pasta Carbonara on point as usual. Actually better than I remembered it, and I remembered it as being pretty good.

Name:  carbonara.jpg
Views: 4113
Size:  2.27 MB

Back to Rondel and off to bed. Next update tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Rainy Day #1. It looks like we might be in for a few rainy days in a row, courtesy of Hurricane Eta, who can't seem to find it's way and is moving very slowly. We are in the outer bands of the storm, so nothing else but rain, the sea is relatively calm. Beats being at home even though we aren't on the beach.

What do you do when it rains in Negril?? Bar Hop!!!!

We ended up hitting Red Dragon first just for a quick stop and then off to Seastar. We wanted to buy some of these cool masks that Barbara makes. Now even more of a reason to wear a mask!!

Name:  Masks.jpg
Views: 3693
Size:  467.2 KB

Obligatory picture of Red Dragon

Name:  RedDragon.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  1.13 MB

After buying the masks at Seastar, and having a few drinks. We headed to Collette's to hang out for the afternoon, sorry no picture at Collette's we got busy talking and telling lies (mostly!!).

Back to Rondel to "Re-J" (that means get more money!!!) and then down to Canoe for happy hour before dinner at Quality's. That man can do things with fish that I didn't know was possible. Sorry no pics at Quality's I was concentrating on eating and forgot, but I had Snapper Escoveitch and Melo had the Pan Fried Snapper. Both were awesome!!!

Pic from Canoe, I love the view of Mary's bay from there, but I waited a little late to get the picture and it was dark for the most part, but still peaceful and serene!!!

Name:  Canoe.jpg
Views: 3523
Size:  587.2 KB

It is raining again today as we sit at the Rondel Bar having breakfast, so it sounds like another pub day is in order.