Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rental car question

User Info Menu

Re: Rental car question

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicajeanne View Post
    Thank you Bnewb,
    With all due respect, the info you posted only address the how the car rental employees are supposed to perform. It does not address (at least what I read) where the visitor can drive their vehicle.

We traveled when you had to upload your results and wait for authorization. We followed protocol to the letter and had no issues with approval, entry or our stay.

At this time, I find it frustrating that logical information is not posted in one place like visitjamaica.com I completely agree with your assessment of the posts that I shared here...but I do not see how an inexperienced traveler can successfully plan their vacation. I can also appreciate that it might be impossible to think of every scenario, but I do feel the information could be more precise and available in one place. The suggestion has always been "follow the protocols listed at visitjamaica.com".....But, not all of the necessary information is listed there.
    I also find it strange that you have to apply for entry, but apparently you get your approval immediately regardless of what you have listed for your place of stay and your transportation. So ultimately what is the purpose for the travel authorization?

It is a difficult conundrum and I respect what Jamaica is trying to do.....

Good luck and safe travels everyone!
    Jamaicajeanne....it's a guide for tourism! The Tourism Ministry spent countless hours, days etc. writing out protocols for the tourism industry. It's not a guide for how to handle Jamaica citizens. Vehicle rentals are addressed in the Covid-19 Tourism Protocols.

As far as getting approval immediately after applying for the Travel Authorization...you only get a positive, immediate response if you answer correctly and comply with their stated protocols. I see it as an improvement...not something negative.

The DRMs (Disaster Risk Management amendments) state every new rule as well as exactly where you can go...they've amended the original Resilient Corridor to having 3, including the south coast. Sometimes there's confusion with updates on the various and separate websites because this is an incredibly fluid situation. Nothing like this has happened before. It can be frustrating...but so are the times we're in!!

User Info Menu

I appreciate all of the work everyone has done in opening Jamaica to tourism and I can appreciate that not every situation is the same....I may not be expressing myself correctly as I never said anything about handling Jamaican citizens....I was only discussing the protocols for tourists.

All is well, I was just expressing a frustration with the information flowing easily to a new traveler. I am not a new traveler and I followed the protocols precisely and had no issues, however, I did not rent a car...I used approved transportation from the list.

We are definitely living in a strange world right now! Thank you for your time.

Safe travels everyone!

User Info Menu

I appreciate all of the work everyone has done in opening Jamaica to tourism and I can appreciate that not every situation is the same....I may not be expressing myself correctly as I never said anything about handling Jamaican citizens....I was only discussing the protocols for tourists.

All is well, I was just expressing a frustration with the information flowing easily to a new traveler. I am not a new traveler and I followed the protocols precisely and had no issues, however, I did not rent a car...I used approved transportation from the list.

We are definitely living in a strange world right now! Thank you for your time.

Safe travels everyone!
    No worries, Jamaicajeanne....I fully understand your frustration!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

And maybe to clear up the rental issue, G.A.S. Rental Car and Financing is an approved Transportation operation.....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Gotcha! Thanks to both of you.
    I have never found transportation in Jamaica to be an issue and thus have never rented a car. I wish that we could see the Tahiti poster's application to see precisely where they failed....Yes, reading comprehension can be an issue, LOL!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Its always best to go to the source, from the Government about tourists renting a car:

"Yes, they are. They just have to stay within the resilient corridor"

So there you have it!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Gotcha! Thanks to both of you.
    I have never found transportation in Jamaica to be an issue and thus have never rented a car. I wish that we could see the Tahiti poster's application to see precisely where they failed....Yes, reading comprehension can be an issue, LOL!
    Jamaicajeanne...just an fyi..since ya made me look at TA...lol 😱 ...please note that SOE's have not been in effect for over a couple of months...before the election here.
    There are no State of Emergency military checkpoints anywhere...only normal policing stops.