Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New curfew hours for Westmoreland

Administrator

User Info Menu

New curfew hours for Westmoreland

There are new curfew hours for Westmoreland which includes Negril. From the Gleaner:

New COVID measures for Westmoreland:

1. Curfew

7 p.m to 5 a.m daily

(Effective Wednesday, December 16 to Thursday, December 31)

2. Public gathering

Limited to 10 people, down from the 15 permitted elsewhere

3. Grand Market cancelled

4. Burials

(Remain at 15 persons)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...id-cases-surge

-----------

There was a free Covid screening at the bus park last week, testing route taxi drivers and passengers. The testing numbers were rather high, which is why we have been advising not to use route taxis.

Although the screening of positive tests has increased, the number of deaths from Covid is holding steady at 22 for Westmoreland.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: New curfew hours for Westmoreland

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There are new curfew hours for Westmoreland which includes Negril. From the Gleaner:

New COVID measures for Westmoreland:

1. Curfew

7 p.m to 5 a.m daily

(Effective Wednesday, December 16 to Thursday, December 31)

2. Public gathering

Limited to 10 people, down from the 15 permitted elsewhere

3. Grand Market cancelled

4. Burials

(Remain at 15 persons)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...id-cases-surge

-----------

There was a free Covid screening at the bus park last week, testing route taxi drivers and passengers. The testing numbers were rather high, which is why we have been advising not to use route taxis.

Although the screening of positive tests has increased, the number of deaths from Covid is holding steady at 22 for Westmoreland.
    That's understandable with the current covid surge but bad luck for the people in negril for the holidays....

User Info Menu

Bummer. Sounds like some early dinners for me.

I assume this is a no exceptions curfew, so restaurants and other business will need need to close sufficiently for all employees to make it home (or out of Westmoreland) before 7p?
    Last edited by RyanP; 12-16-2020 at 11:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Bummer. Sounds like some early dinners for me.

I assume this is a no exceptions curfew, so restaurants and other business will need need to close sufficiently for all employees to make it home (or out of Westmoreland) before 7p?
    Restaurants are closing a little before curfew in order for staff to make it home on time. Self cater for your own party for night time.

User Info Menu

I will say that drivers were our biggest concern while we were there. They sit in a tight enclosed space all day. We required windows be open when in a cab and didn’t use route taxis. We also cut our use of cabs dramatically. Skip the AC and open windows. No one objected but I think some drivers felt we were being overly cautious. It was a rather warm trip to the airport but better hot than dead. 52 sleeps and we will be back!!

User Info Menu

We have a rental car reserved for this trip. With the new curfew, I think it makes even more sense. Sometimes figuring out the cab situation, particularly on the way back to the beach from the west end, has been challenging.

User Info Menu

Ryan, It was not a fun trip between the cliffs and the beach. There was only one lane of traffic at the crazy corner by the church. I was told they were installing a new water line although it looked like a sewer line that I saw. Traffic coming up from the beach at night wouldn’t stop so traffic from the cliffs detoured through Redground. Maybe someone there now can give you an update. It didn’t stop us from going but we did need to head back to the beach early to beat curfew.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    Ryan, It was not a fun trip between the cliffs and the beach. There was only one lane of traffic at the crazy corner by the church. I was told they were installing a new water line although it looked like a sewer line that I saw. Traffic coming up from the beach at night wouldn’t stop so traffic from the cliffs detoured through Redground. Maybe someone there now can give you an update. It didn’t stop us from going but we did need to head back to the beach early to beat curfew.
    It was a $hit show for sure. One day they did have flag men working the construction and traffic flowed really well. One day I had an approximately 30 minute wait, though I was entertained by the drivers who got out of their cars yelling and getting animated with each other. The whole time I was there work on only 1 day, and the stoppage wasn't weather related as we had hardly any rain. They need to make a detour for the cars coming from town toward the West End through Red Ground in order to mitigate. They would just need to wait and make a left turn once they hit One Love Drive.

As far as route taxis, the numbers were much lower than I am used too. All the drivers I rode with were wearing mask and had the windows down. In hindsight I should have just rented a scooter to avoid the route taxis as well as navigate the construction much easier.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. Would be interested to know if they still are down to the one lane. I don't know that we will be up on the cliffs after dark, given the new curfew hours.

User Info Menu

Boogers description is much more accurate than mine!!
    Maybe it’s all done by now.