Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian Government PCR Test Requirement

User Info Menu

Re: New Canadian Government PCR Test Requirement

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    "I know that you will. So you have chosen one of the safest places in the Caribbean."

Airswift, There is no "common" in senses these days. Each case is different.
    There has been little transmission of the virus on aircraft. Great care is taken at Canadian and Jamaican airports. Transport is strictly regulated and certified. The Jamaicans have set up controls and safety requirements to limit any exposures and the Canadian government is following their example of testing. Any Jamaican vacation is spent almost completely outdoors where the virus doe's not transmit well. The curfew is in place to prevent large gatherings and I have heard is successful in the tourist areas.
    I would feel safer to travel to Negril, than the local Costco in Austin Texas.
    I have chosen not to travel to Negril this year and would prefer that my friends didn't because should they get ill, I could not help them.
    I also understand that for mental health and well being, Negril is a natural cure that is in the blood of many Canadians. The government advises against unnecessary travel. Maybe to some it is very necessary.
    No "common" in senses??? Nice to have an opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    No "common" in senses??? Nice to have an opinion.
    Thank you. That was my point

User Info Menu

As a Canadian citizen the Government cannot deny you entry. If you don't have a negative test they will require you to quarantine in a federally approved site until you are tested. The rest of the mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return remains in place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher Branch View Post
    As a Canadian citizen the Government cannot deny you entry. If you don't have a negative test they will require you to quarantine in a federally approved site until you are tested. The rest of the mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return remains in place.
    The airline will not board you without proof of negative test. You will not reach Canada.

User Info Menu

From a story on CBC's website.
    Travellers who are unable to procure tests before their flights home won't be stranded abroad, LeBlanc said. Immediately upon their return to Canada, he said, those passengers will be required to isolate at federally-approved sites until they obtain negative test results and meet other quarantine commitments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher Branch View Post
    From a story on CBC's website.
    Travellers who are unable to procure tests before their flights home won't be stranded abroad, LeBlanc said. Immediately upon their return to Canada, he said, those passengers will be required to isolate at federally-approved sites until they obtain negative test results and meet other quarantine commitments.
    That is 14 days in a federal facility according to Marc Garneau

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    That is 14 days in a federal facility according to Marc Garneau
    There are two possible outcomes for passengers who fail to obtain PCR tests prior to departure, Garneau said in an interview with CBC News.

"One is, if they haven't got the test result and there are clinics available, they will have to reschedule their departure because they won't be allowed on board," he said. "If, on the other hand, they can demonstrate ... that there was no facility, then they can be admitted onboard."

Travellers who can prove that they were unable to get a test abroad will have to quarantine at a federally-approved facility upon their return for 14 days.

User Info Menu

Rob... I have just been in touch with Omega Medical Labs in Negril and they currently indicate they only do Antigen Tests. Furthermore, they also share that if one wants a PCR test, one must go to Montego Bay to the MicroLabs office for this test... takes 3 hours with results 24-48 hours post test. The also say they are negotiating with MicroLabs to open a Negril testing site with no time frame details of this negotiation.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes, thanks Douglas!

I have been in discussions with both Omega and MicroLabs. Omega used to be one of the testing sites for MicroLabs but it became economically unfeasible. With the necessity of the PCR tests now, this arrangement should once again take place.

As soon as they give me an update I will share it here.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Yes, thanks Douglas!

I have been in discussions with both Omega and MicroLabs. Omega used to be one of the testing sites for MicroLabs but it became economically unfeasible. With the necessity of the PCR tests now, this arrangement should once again take place.

As soon as they give me an update I will share it here.
    Thanks Rob, may be too late for us as timing may dictate making a decision by Monday, January 4 to reconfirm vacation. $190-$200 CDN/person for the test let alone the anxiety/stress awaiting results prior to leaving is taxing. This is assuming tests can be done and expedited in time in Negril Worst case scenario, this will be the first time in 40 years I will not have vacationed in Negril