Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian Government PCR Test Requirement

User Info Menu

New Canadian Government PCR Test Requirement

We have booked 2 weeks in late Feb early March and had really hoped to be in Jamaica during this time. We have been watching all the changes in regulations and the reduction in flight services in our part of Canada but still thought we would be able make it happen. We had even made plans to self isolate for 14 days both before and after our trip to help both our Jamaican and Canadian friends stay safe. We have become experts in social distancing and mask wearing. We were all set.

Now the Canadian government has announced that you will require a PCR test 3 days before you fly into Canada. This may be the proverbial straw. Are there private clinics available in Jamaica (Hospiten, other???) that are equipped to support this. If not this will likely end our plans of seeing Negril and trying to support the local businesses we know are in great need.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: New Canadian Government PCR Test Requirement

From another thread:

Omega Medical Services can provide the new rapid Covid testing in 15 minutes for US$150.

Been getting private emails about this so apparently some places, countries, employers may be asking for them.

You can check out Omega Medical Services in the Medical section of our Things To Do!

They also have PCR testing...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks - I too am reading the Canadian requirements to be tested max 72 hours before returning to Canada - let's see how this develops ... Government really does not want us to travel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by irie always View Post
    Thanks - I too am reading the Canadian requirements to be tested max 72 hours before returning to Canada - let's see h ow this develops ... Government really does not want us to travel
    Irie, Don't take it personally, and Jamaica is not the problem. They are victims that are doing all they can to stay safe and make a living. The virus is taking over the world and with the help of denial, spreading throughout it. Fortunately vaccines will win the day but we need patience. Patience and safe practices. From a Canadian perspective we are coming up to an annual migration where Canadians travel to homelands and warmer climates whether it is Tet in February back to Asia or Spring Break for Quebecois in February, or March for the rest of Canada. Last year 1/3 of all cases came from Asia (Tet) 1/3 from North Africa and Europe (Quebec Spring Break) and 1/3 from the US and Caribbean ( Florida, Dominican Republic, Haiti etc) at Ontario Spring Break.
    That is one of the reasons for the test requirements. And you will be monitored for 14 days on return. They are hiring more surveillance and tracking personnel every day.
    You are right. The Canadian government doe's not want you to travel. All countries have discouraged travel. I don't want you to travel. I know that you will. So you have chosen one of the safest places in the Caribbean. Enjoy the hospitality as I know they will love to have you! And tell Hubbie that the Seastar Drummers have no curfew!!

User Info Menu

FYI.... The US govt held a call with airlines today (30th) to discuss same requirements on return to US. Also "Airlines hope a negative Covid-19 test will replace an outright ban on non-citizens who have traveled to certain countries in the past 14 days." "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other U.S. agencies held a lengthy call with U.S. airlines Wednesday that discussed expanding COVID-19 test requirements to travelers arriving from other countries, sources briefed on the call said.

…The CDC expansion could eventually cover all U.S.-bound international air arrivals, officials said. " by Gary Leff "View from the Wing" newsletter

User Info Menu

Rob: Is PCR testing included in the $150 US/person?/ Do you need to book an appt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    From another thread:

Omega Medical Services can provide the new rapid Covid testing in 15 minutes for US$150.

Been getting private emails about this so apparently some places, countries, employers may be asking for them.

You can check out Omega Medical Services in the Medical section of our Things To Do!

They also have PCR testing...
    Is PCR testing included in the $150 US/person rapid testing?

User Info Menu

Is PCR testing included in the $150/US rapid testing? Does one need to make an appointment?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Henderson View Post
    Is PCR testing included in the $150/US rapid testing? Does one need to make an appointment?
    No, that is from another thread about a rapid test. I will be calling them today for the particulars, but PCR tests are available in Negril
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Irie, Don't take it personally, and Jamaica is not the problem. They are victims that are doing all they can to stay safe and make a living. The virus is taking over the world and with the help of denial, spreading throughout it. Fortunately vaccines will win the day but we need patience. Patience and safe practices. From a Canadian perspective we are coming up to an annual migration where Canadians travel to homelands and warmer climates whether it is Tet in February back to Asia or Spring Break for Quebecois in February, or March for the rest of Canada. Last year 1/3 of all cases came from Asia (Tet) 1/3 from North Africa and Europe (Quebec Spring Break) and 1/3 from the US and Caribbean ( Florida, Dominican Republic, Haiti etc) at Ontario Spring Break.
    That is one of the reasons for the test requirements. And you will be monitored for 14 days on return. They are hiring more surveillance and tracking personnel every day.
    You are right. The Canadian government doe's not want you to travel. All countries have discouraged travel. I don't want you to travel. I know that you will. So you have chosen one of the safest places in the Caribbean. Enjoy the hospitality as I know they will love to have you! And tell Hubbie that the Seastar Drummers have no curfew!!
    Dash is right. Simply put, you should not be travelling during this pandemic. What ever happened to common sense?

User Info Menu

"I know that you will. So you have chosen one of the safest places in the Caribbean."

Airswift, There is no "common" in senses these days. Each case is different.
    There has been little transmission of the virus on aircraft. Great care is taken at Canadian and Jamaican airports. Transport is strictly regulated and certified. The Jamaicans have set up controls and safety requirements to limit any exposures and the Canadian government is following their example of testing. Any Jamaican vacation is spent almost completely outdoors where the virus doe's not transmit well. The curfew is in place to prevent large gatherings and I have heard is successful in the tourist areas.
    I would feel safer to travel to Negril, than the local Costco in Austin Texas.
    I have chosen not to travel to Negril this year and would prefer that my friends didn't because should they get ill, I could not help them.
    I also understand that for mental health and well being, Negril is a natural cure that is in the blood of many Canadians. The government advises against unnecessary travel. Maybe to some it is very necessary.