Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Covid compliant transportation.

User Info Menu

Covid compliant transportation.

Our driver of many years who is on the transportation section of this forum tells me that he is approved, but I can't find him on the approved list from the government page. Can transportation companies (taxi owner and driver) be approved under an umbrella such as JUTA?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Covid compliant transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    Our driver of many years who is on the transportation section of this forum tells me that he is approved, but I can't find him on the approved list from the government page. Can transportation companies (taxi owner and driver) be approved under an umbrella such as JUTA?
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. All JUTA, JCal and Maxi drivers are certified under the association that they are a member. Some transportation operations are large enough that they applied separately to have their own listing on the VisitJamaica website.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

does the driver have to show proof to someone at the airport or do we have to show proof that we are riding with an approved driver?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    does the driver have to show proof to someone at the airport or do we have to show proof that we are riding with an approved driver?
    When you fill in your Travel Authorization form at VisitJamaica.com ... one of the requirements is to declare who your driver may be.
    If your driver works for Juta...you'll click on the Juta option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    When you fill in your Travel Authorization form at VisitJamaica.com ... one of the requirements is to declare who your driver may be.
    If your driver works for Juta...you'll click on the Juta option.
    There are six JUTA options on the approved list. If our driver is Negril based, I assume that we check JUTA Negril?

User Info Menu

There are six JUTA options on the approved list. If our driver is Negril based, I assume that we check JUTA Negril?
    That works....or you could also ask what Juta chapter your driver is affiliated with...or just hit the plain old Juta option.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 01-21-2021 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

After further conversation with our driver, he is not JUTA, but he is a red plate taxi. A long time Jamaican visitor currently in GI told us that we just say that we are being picked up by a red plate taxi and that will be sufficient. Any thoughts on the red plate being good?

Administrator

User Info Menu

After further conversation with our driver, he is not JUTA, but he is a red plate taxi. A long time Jamaican visitor currently in GI told us that we just say that we are being picked up by a red plate taxi and that will be sufficient. Any thoughts on the red plate being good?
    There is no "option" on the application for a "Red Plate Driver". They must be certified by the JTB as Covid trained and certified. The application will be denied without that.

Are they associated with any of the unions, JCal or Maxi?

Both are certified by the JTB...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

how does anyone check to ensure the person giving you a ride has been certified

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    how does anyone check to ensure the person giving you a ride has been certified
    Email and ask them.
    All the drivers are certified in the transportation section of Negril.com.